San Juan, Puerto Rico (AP) — Authorities combed the turquoise waters north of Puerto Rico for three days looking for 23-year-old Harold Carion. His mother was afraid he would go missing earlier this week and drown on a popular beach.
The U.S. Coast Guard said Puerto Rican police officers, scuba divers, and emergency management officials cooperated with the search that began on Tuesday, costing more than $ 1.2 million and searching about half the area of U.S. territory. rice field.
However, after police received anonymous information, Karion said he had revived on Friday and found him hiding in an abandoned building in the north coast town of Arecibo. His mother had previously said that Karion had climbed some rocks near the sea and he had fallen.
Police detained Carrión, but it was not immediately clear if he was charged with anything. He should have appeared in court this week on irrelevant charges.
The Coast Guard paid most of the costs associated with the search ($ 1 million) and dispatched two helicopters from Puerto Rico, a cutter and a boat, and an aircraft from Miami. Meanwhile, the local government said it had spent about $ 200,000.
Nino Correa, who oversees the Federal Emergency Management Agency in Puerto Rico, said at a news conference that she was sad and indignant at the turn of the case.
“The whole law must depend on this type of person,” he said, adding that the crew was exposed to dangerous sea conditions and bad weather.
Alberto Martinez, the Coast Guard search and rescue coordinator, said he shared his resentment.