24-year-old truck driver charged after strike, knocked over 401 highway sign

A 24-year-old truck driver was charged with ramming and knocking over an overhead sign on Route 401 on January 6, according to the Ontario Police Department (OPP).

On the morning of January 6, OPP Sergeant Kelly Schmidt Said Whitby police were investigating a collapsed overhead sign that blocked all lanes on the west side of Highway 401 near Block Street and caused a “significant delay” to traffic.

picture A road sign provided by OPP indicates a complete blockage of traffic across the highway. Heavy equipment was brought in to remove the signs from the road.At about 11:00 a.m., the police Said Traffic was moving again.

schmitt said update Around 10:00 a.m., a truck struck the sign and part of the cross member, “buckling and collapsing”. He identified the hand and said it hit the sign.

The driver reportedly stopped about 100 yards from the crash, got out of the vehicle, unloaded the box, and was “last seen coming out on Block Street, Whitby.”

“We know who you are. We’re coming for you now. We’re on our way,” said Schmidt. “You’d better call OPP now and tell them exactly where you are and where it’s best to meet.”

After hours, schmitt said Trucks were laid out in truck yards.

“It’s a dump-style trailer that you can extend, lift and dump,” he said in the video.

Schmidt said the crash left marks on the truck itself, indicating that the vehicle’s damaged ladder likely hit the overhead sign, which transferred a blue paint stain from the sign.

Schmidt later said in the update The incident was the result of a truck driver “colliding into an overhead sign with the dump box of his car lifted.” He has been charged with three charges of having an excess vehicle.

“Whitby OPP was able to locate the vehicle and the driver thanks to the clues we received from a witness who reported seeing signs of a truck strike,” said Schmidt. “Without your help, without your help in moving this investigation forward, we wouldn’t be where we are right now.”

Around 4 p.m., police announced that lanes near the crash site on Highway 401 had reopened.

Andrew Chen

Andrew Chen is a reporter for the Epoch Times based in Toronto.