7-day blockade begins at midnight tonight



The Victorian government said that 26 new CCP virus cases emerged from a cluster of Indian variants believed to be associated with South Australian quarantine, and then throughout the state for seven days from midnight Thursday. I imposed a blockade.

There are only five restrictions that allow people to leave home: shopping for food, participating in permitted work or study, exercising (with one other person), providing care, and vaccination. It means that.

Similar to forced use of masks indoors and outdoors, the 5km travel limit also applies to exercise and shopping.

All non-required retail stores will be closed, but mandatory stores such as supermarkets, bottle shops and pharmacies will continue to operate.

Cafes and restaurants can only offer takeaway.

Childcare and kindergartens remain open, but schools are closed.

Professional sports events such as weekend AFL games in Melbourne will continue, but will not be crowded.

Acting Prime Minister James Merlino told reporters Thursday that the Indian variant “runs faster than ever recorded.” Other variants.

“The time between catching the virus and transmitting it is faster than ever,” Merlino said, recommending people to be vaccinated.

He said Victoria may not be facing another blockade if federal vaccination deployments are in place.

As of Thursday, there were 34 active cases in Victoria and 12 new cases related to a hotel quarantine breach in South Australia. One case is in the ICU ventilator.

State contact tracers have identified over 10,000 primary or secondary contacts that need to be quarantined.

Victoria has also extended vaccination eligibility to people aged 40-49 years from today.

“If you are eligible to be vaccinated, plan to do it today to get it done,” said the state health minister.

State officials met again Wednesday night and Thursday to determine the duration and extent of the blockade.

To date, more than 70 exposed sites have been identified, with nine new locations reported overnight, including locations such as soccer venues and nightclubs.

The blockade will occur on Wednesday after Victorian officials have recorded 15 cases of COVID-19, a disease caused by the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus.

The new case is associated with the Whittlesea cluster in northern Melbourne, with more than 250 key close contacts associated with more than 70. Exposed site— From the outskirts of Melbourne to Bendigo and Cohuna near the border with New South Wales in northern Victoria.

In response, the federal government has pledged additional support to Victoria, including 130,000 additional doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Genomic sequencing showed that the outbreak was associated with a Warato man infected with an Indian subspecies of COVID-19 in South Australian quarantine earlier this month.

Men in their 60s may be “potentially responsible” for the outbreak of Whittlesea, but a clear link has not yet been established. The open doors of the Adelaide Quarantine Hotel have been identified as likely sources of infection.

Prior to the blockade, Victoria reinstated restrictions on Tuesday at 6 pm in response to the outbreak of Whittlesea. Greater Melbourne people need to wear face masks indoors. Private home gatherings are limited to 5 visitors per day, while public gatherings have been reduced to 30.

Workers blame Morrison government for hotel quarantine violations

Mark Butler, an opposition health spokesman for the National Labor Party, has accused the federal government of the breach, even though hotel quarantine is controlled by state and territory authorities.

“This is the 17th outbreak since hotel quarantine in the last 6 months,” Butler said. Told to ABC Radio On thursday.

“Experts advised the Prime Minister to set up dedicated, purpose-built facilities to relieve pressure from hotels built for tourism rather than medical quarantine,” he added.

Victoria entered a final five-day “circuit breaker” lockdown in February when the virus escaped hotel quarantine and infected 13 people. This happened after the state imposed a lockdown that lasted more than 100 days last year after another failure in the state’s hotel quarantine system.

The long blockade exposed Victorian people to “living hell,” Liberal Democratic Party lawmaker David Limbrick told Victorian Parliament in September 2020.

He said he received a disastrous call from hundreds of people. Some of them have liquidated their businesses to put food on the table, almost lost their homes, and lost two friends to suicide in a week.

Others include grandmothers who were forbidden to visit their first grandchildren, children who stopped talking, people who were so depressed that they couldn’t leave the house, elementary school students who were so depressed that they refused to eat, and their son committed suicide. Said the story of a woman who was afraid of danger.

The volume of calls was so high that Limbrick advised the staff to take a break for their own well-being.

State responds to Victoria outbreak

In response to the outbreak in Victoria, South Australia does not allow cross-borders when in Melbourne, except for residents and essential workers.

Returning South Australians are required to undergo three virus tests and be quarantined for 14 days.

Everyone from Melbourne who recently traveled to South Australia must be tested and quarantined until they receive a negative result.

In Perth, Victorian arrivals are tested.

Queensland is urging residents to reconsider all their trips to Victoria, especially Melbourne, and anyone staying in Whittlesea after May 11 will be denied entry. All arrivals from Victoria must complete the border pass.

New South Wales requires arrivals in Melbourne and Bendigo to complete a travel declaration confirming that they have not visited a place of interest.

Tasmania, ACT and the Northern Territory have also imposed conditions on travelers, but the travel bubble has continued to cease in Melbourne, New Zealand.

AAP contributed to this report.

Posted on