Reslin Lewis, a Conservative MP and party leader candidate, said the government should also amend the enforcement of emergency legislation as Canada’s public broadcaster CBC withdraws the second episode about Freedom Convoy. increase.
“Even the CBC admits that some of their main stories about convoys and the people behind them were wrong, so the reason behind the emergency is also wrong, and Canadian funding. We should admit that the freeze was illegal. ” Tweet March 15th.
The CBC falsely claimed in late January that Russia may be in favor of the opposition movement, but later corrected it. This week, broadcasters withdrew a second story about foreign influences claiming that Canada Convoy’s fundraising was suspended due to the suspicious nature of donations.
“On February 10, CBC Radio’s The World This Hour erroneously stated that GoFundMe had ended its fundraising efforts for protesters over suspicious donations to the group,” CBC said in a statement. report According to BlackRock reporter.
The CBC has published a number of articles on the financing of opposition movements, including an exclusive analysis based on: hacking Material from the GiveSendGo platform. This report was partially used by the federal government to justify enacting an emergency law on February 14 to clear transnational protests and blockades.
The government’s “Section 58” report, which explains why the law came into force, cites a CBC article on the GiveSendGo hack and argues that the movement is heavily funded by foreign capital.
However, the funds raised by GiveSendGo were frozen by an Ontario court on February 10, four days before the bill was enacted, and never reached the recipients.
Jacob Wells, co-founder of GiveSendGo, told the House of Commons Public Safety Commission on March 3 that about 60% of the platform donations came from Canada and 37% from the United States.
The convoy’s previous fundraising through GoFundMe had released $ 1 million to recipients before stopping allegations of violations of the Terms of Service, but was largely Canadian-led.
Juan Benitez, president of GoFundMe, told the same committee that 88% of the donations to the Freedom Convoy fundraiser on his platform came from Canada.
Several federal ministers and NDP leader Jagmate Singh claimed that Freedom Convoy was a foreign-affiliated company to undermine the state.
Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair described it last month as a “mostly foreign-funded, targeted and coordinated attack” on Canadian democracy.