A man convicted of Malcolm X’s murder sues New York for $ 40 million


New York (AP) — The man who was Immunity last year In 1965, the Malcolm X assassination filed a $ 40 million proceeding against New York City for 20 years in prison for a notorious crime he did not commit.

84-year-old Muhammad Aziz lawyer filed a lawsuit in federal court in Brooklyn Thursday over Aziz’s illegal conviction over the killing of civil rights leader Malcolm X, who urged blacks to seek justice “by the necessary means.” rice field.

Additional complaints were filed on behalf of the property of Karil Islam, the second man who was falsely convicted of the assassination.

Malcolm X was shot dead on February 21, 1965 at the Audubon Ballroom in northern Manhattan. Aziz and Islam, then known as Norman 3X Butler and Thomas 15X Johnson, and a third man were convicted of murder in March 1966 and sentenced to life imprisonment.

A third man, Mujahid Abdul Halim, admitted to shooting Malcolm X, but said neither Aziz nor Islam were involved. Harim was released on parole in 2010.

A Manhattan judge dismissed the convictions of Aziz and Islam in November 2021 after prosecutors stated that new evidence of witness intimidation and suppression of evidence of defense undermined the proceedings against them. The district attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. at the time apologized for “serious and unacceptable violations of the law and public trust” by law enforcement agencies.

Lawyers David Shanice and Deborah François said in a complaint filed Thursday that both Aziz and Islam were at Bronx’s home when Malcolm X was killed.

They unfairly branded Aziz as a convicted murderer who spent 20 years in prison for a crime he did not commit and was convicted of one of the most important civil rights leaders in history for over 55 years. I lived with the hardships and resentments that accompany being transformed. “

Islam spent 22 years in prison and wanted to reveal his name. “The damage done to Mr. Islam and his family was enormous and irreparable,” the lawyer wrote.

A spokesperson for the New York City Legal Department introduced a request for comment to Mayor Eric Adams in a statement. Mr. Islam’s conviction was a legitimate result. We are considering this proceeding. “