A man with more than HK$3 million in debt was kidnapped, murdered and buried in a rural Hong Kong village.


The Hong Kong government has insisted on how safe Hong Kong is since the national security law came into force, but citizens feel differently. Netizens wondered if the national security law would have made Hong Kong safer and less chaotic.

The recent increase in crime, including armed robbery, in Hong Kong has raised concerns about public safety.

A 51-year-old man was kidnapped and murdered at Ping Yeung Old Village in Ta Kwu Ling. The victim’s body was found in a rural village just over a week later. On September 14, Hong Kong police arrested two men, his 29-year-old and his 64-year-old, surnamed Chan, on suspicion of murder.

Epoch Times photo
After his arrest at the Northern New Territories Criminal Investigation Unit, Superintendent Chan Kong-min spoke to the media. (Photo by Big Mac/Epoch Times)

Crime or terrorism?

Security Secretary Chris Tan Pinkun previously said Hong Kong’s overall crime rate was “stable”. However, Tang said it is still important to stay vigilant during peaceful times and prevent lone wolf crimes and regional terrorism.

Epoch Times photo
Police returned to the scene with two suspects for reconstruction of the crime scene. (Big Mac/Epoch Times)

Citizens suspect that the Hong Kong government only knows how to spend taxpayer money on national security, oppressing and bullying young Hong Kongers while allowing social order to deteriorate.

When a missing person becomes a murderer

On September 5th, a woman reported a missing person. Local authorities have launched an investigation. According to media reports, the missing man was seen on surveillance cameras leaving his Banling apartment and was last seen eating at a nearby restaurant.

Epoch Times photo
The two suspects were chained up and taken to the scene of the crime. (Big Mac/Epoch Times)

On September 5, Ms Cheung of Ping Yeung Old Village said she could not find her husband after searching everywhere. Mrs. Chan then contacted the police and filed a missing persons case. Chan said her 51-year-old husband, Chan, went missing around September 5, and she was never seen again.

A police investigation revealed that the victim got into the car around noon on the 14th. There were no signs of a struggle or kidnapping. Police believed the victim may have been a friend of the kidnapper.

regain body

On September 14, police deployed the Northern New Territories Police Tactical Unit (PTU) and a number of police officers to search along the hillside of Pinyong village.

Epoch Times photo
The bodies of the victims were buried near the Kwan Tai Temple in Ta Ku ling on the hillside. It was 30 cm (11.8 inches) below ground. (Big Mac/Epoch Times)

At about 4:00 pm on September 15, police finally found the victim’s body on the hillside next to Guan Ti Temple in the village. The victim was buried in a pit 30 cm (11.8 inches) underground. The deceased was first covered with a layer of cement, followed by a layer of sand.

Forensic scientists arrived at the crime scene for a preliminary examination and found the victim’s head and hands tied with tape. He had a sharp stab wound on his left side.

Victims were presumed dead in eight to ten days. However, the cause of death could only be ascertained after an autopsy and toxicological examination. The murder weapon is still missing as of September 27.

The victim, Mr. Chung, lived in Fanling and was an active participant in village events and soccer events before he was killed. Football enthusiasts in the village knew Chan well.

police roundup

At 9:00 pm on September 15, Hong Kong Police Senior Inspector General of the New Territories North Criminal HQ, Chan Kong Ming, met with reporters and briefed them on the incident.

Chan said police received a missing person report on September 5. Her wife, she claimed, lost contact with her husband after he went out to lunch in the afternoon. “Her wife, Mrs Cheung, received an unknown phone call and message in the evening saying she demanded HK$3.6 million (US$458,600) to pay off her husband’s debts. reported to the police.

Epoch Times photo
Police believed the two suspects were friends of the victim. (Big Mac/Epoch Times)

A senior superintendent believed the victim was taken to Guan Ti Temple to negotiate a debt. He was then attacked and stabbed with a sharp object.

Chen continued, “After the attack, the perpetrators had the opportunity to extort a ransom from the victim’s family.” It pointed out.

Cheng said two suspects had been arrested and charged with one count of murder. As to whether anyone else was involved, police said they would follow directions on the amount and type of debt. Police did not subsequently rule out additional charges of extortion.

Cheng also explained that police escorted two male suspects to the crime scene for crime reconstruction. A 29-year-old man was found chained and covered with his overhead bag around 6 p.m.

The 64-year-old suspect arrived at 7:00 pm that same day. “We believe the victim owed HK$3 million (US$382,200) in gambling debts before his death, which was the most likely motive for the murder.”

Worry of villagers

Mrs Chan, a Ping Yeung villager, said she was shocked by the murder. Mrs. Chang has lived in this village for more than ten years. “It’s always very safe here. We don’t see many strangers.

Another villager, Leung, was disappointed to hear the news.

The case was postponed until December 9th. The defendants, his 64-year-old Chan Wah-hing and his 29-year-old Chan Yiu-lung, are under the custody of the Department of Corrections.

Summer Lawson