A mother living in New York takes her life after being detained at a brainwashing center in China

New York — Liu Dambi’s 31st birthday in December — first passed without a birthday wish from her mother — she didn’t cry. She said long ago that her tears were gone.

Liu hadn’t met her mother before boarding a flight to New York City, where she graduated from graduate school at New York State University Buffalo after parting at a Chinese airport seven years ago.

When they broke up, Liu was suddenly saddened and melted into tears for no apparent reason.

“I had a feeling that it was my last farewell to my mother,” she told the era.

Her mother, Hwang Sikun, died on April 23, last year, after swallowing seven pills prescribed by a mental hospital. Her body was found in a hidden stairwell in the apartment where she lived with her husband.

Yellow’s last note was a note to her husband written on a piece of paper. “You are the best husband in the world. You are just out of luck.”

Before his death at the age of 57, Huang suffered for two years in his hometown of Wuhan for trying to shed light on the depression that began during his arrest and the subsequent persecution of her beliefs by the Chinese government.

Formerly a kindergarten teacher in Wuhan, central China, Huang endorsed Falun Gong, a spiritual discipline with five meditative exercises and moral teachings centered on principles, truth, compassion and tolerance. Was a person. According to official reports, about 70 million people practiced discipline in China in 1999. However, fearing its popularity, the administration has launched a violent campaign to persecute Falun Gong, arresting millions of supporters over the past few decades.

In Liu’s memory, her mother was always talkative and optimistic. Huang started talking to strangers on the street and made friends with a nearby fruit shop. She had a good voice, was talented to impersonate Taiwanese pop icon Teresa Teng in the 1980s, and gained fans all over Asia with her inspirational romantic ballad.

Huang also tried to be a good teacher. Parents sometimes brought her money and gifts in the hope that she would treat their children better, but she refused all of them. “I’m just trying to be a good person by following honesty, compassion, and tolerance,” Huang tells them, citing three basic principles of practice. She would say this was her job, and she was obliged to do it well.

Huang Shikun
Yellow Shiqun (2nd R) in the 1990s. (Provided by Liu Dambi)

“It was as if nothing was so difficult for her,” Liu said. “Her mere presence will reassure me.”

However, after returning from Wuhan’s Qiaokou District Legal Education Center in February 2018, these features disappeared from her. This facility is advertised, compulsory, and compulsory dosing by Falun Gong learners.

Liu didn’t know what happened to her mother during her one-month detention at the center. But when Huang came back, she was no longer herself. Her weight plummeted 66 pounds. She was restless at night and went back and forth on the floor. She was suffering from sight and deafness. She can’t read and will get lost even around her neighborhood. During a call with Liu, Huang talked about hair loss on his arm and muscle cramps.

Even more worrisome was the change in her mental status. Once a friendly person, Huang easily became anxious and withdrew. She kept the curtains down during the day and said she was afraid of the light. Any visitor bothered her and she no longer wanted to go out.

The hospital told the family that the yellow cranial nerves had degenerated.

“She told me that all the cells in her body felt like they were being tortured,” Liu said. “She always felt ready to jump off the building and give up her life.”

Most of the time, Huang lay down on the bed and “suffering and trying to get through,” Liu said.

Huang frequently talked to Liu about physical and psychological distress, but both carefully discussed possible causes because he knew that the telephone conversation could have been eavesdropped. .. Liu suspected that the guards had added psychiatric drugs to his mother’s food while in custody.

She came to this conclusion after reading an online report on detention centers and supporters who showed similar symptoms after drug administration. According to Mingui, a US-based website tracking the persecution of Falun Gong, some supporters detained there said their diet left a taste of medicine.

Xiao Yingxue, a former employee of Qiaokou District Industrial and Commercial Bureau, was injected with an unknown substance three times at the same center in 2011 and complained of severe headaches for several years. After being injected with an unknown drug into his shoulder at the Hubei Brainwashing Center, 24-year-old Wang Yujie spewed white foam. According to Mingi, she lost hearing and sight and died in September 2011, four months after her release.

Huang Shiqun’s dateless photo at work. (Courtesy of Minghui.org)

Liu was able to learn about his mother’s detention period from a message Huang wrote on paper and held up for her during a video call. Liu takes a picture for later reading. Huang used this silent communication method to prevent eavesdroppers from detecting it.

In those memos, Huang writes about relentless pain. A method of being forced to sit for 15 hours daily in a “classroom” with double-layered metal doors, where a large number of recordings and videos that defile Falun Gong were played. The prisoners, under the guard’s bid, forbade her from sleeping and pushed her in if she closed her eyes a little. The guard gave her a small piece of food. On the fifth day, Huang’s body began to shake uncontrollably. She stood firm when the guards asked her to sign a document that abandoned her beliefs, but that day she succumbed.

“She didn’t know what it was, but she felt she couldn’t control herself,” Liu said.

Huang began to fill her beliefs and write “homework” repeatedly to “express hatred” until the guards were satisfied.

Police did not remove Huang from the hook after she was released. Less than a year later, they asked Huang to sign another document that abandoned her faith. This measure was part of a national “zero-out” campaign aimed at eliminating the number of supporters in the region.

Local Chinese Communist Party officials also pressured Huang’s husband to divorce.

Accepting Huang’s loss was difficult for Liu’s father, who lived a vigilant life day and night to keep Huang safe. Liu’s cousin told her she had never seen him cry like that.

“He wasn’t preparing for the day,” she said.

According to Liu, he still slept for only a few hours with sleeping pills.

Just recently, Liu’s father called Liu. He was drunk. “He told me I didn’t know how to live.”



Eva Fu is a New York-based writer of The Epoch Times, focusing on Sino-US relations, religious freedom, and human rights.