American tourist found dead at same Bahamas resort where three died this year


An American tourist was found dead at the same Bahamian resort where three other Americans died earlier this year, officials said.

The Royal Bahamas Police told NBC News and other media outlets that a man in his 70s was experiencing COVID-19-related symptoms and was found dead at Grand Exuma’s Sandals resort. No suspicion of wrongdoing.

“As a result, he was tested. … He tested positive,” police said in a statement. “Then he self-isolated.”

No details were provided.

“The body will be taken to New Providence for an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death,” police said. Said In a statement to Reuters.

Sandals Emerald Bay Resort has not released an official statement following the man’s death. The Epoch Times reached out to the company for comment regarding the death.

May case

The Emerald Bay Resort is the same site where three Americans died from carbon monoxide exposure in May of this year.

“We can officially confirm that all three victims died as a result of asphyxiation due to carbon monoxide poisoning,” the Royal Bahamas Police said in a statement in June. increase.”

sandals emerald bay
Sandals Emerald Bay, Great Exuma, Bahamas, June 4, 2016. (Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images for Sandals)

Sandals, meanwhile, said police confirmed it was an isolated incident in a building that houses guest rooms.

“Despite initial speculation, Bahamian authorities have determined that the cause was an isolated incident in one separate structure housing two separate guest rooms, and that the resort’s air-conditioning system, food and beverage services, landscaping services, or fouls were suspected. has concluded that there is absolutely no relationship between the two and the play,” Sandals Resort said in a statement to the press in May.

They were identified as Michael Phillips, 68, and Robbie Phillips, 65, from Tennessee, and Vincent Chiarella, 64, from Florida. Chiarella’s wife Donnis was airlifted from the Bahamas to a hospital in Florida after being found unconscious at a resort. .

Sandals has said it has since re-evaluated its safety protocols.

“Ensuring the safety and health of our guests and team members is always our number one priority. We have taken action,” the company told news outlets earlier this year.

“Additionally, all guest rooms at Sandals Emerald Bay have been equipped with CO detectors. While not required at any of the Caribbean destinations we operate, all guest rooms across our portfolio will have detectors. ‘ added the statement. “Our entire team continues to think and pray for our families during this difficult time.”

Jack Phillips

follow

Jack Phillips is a New York-based breaking news reporter for the Epoch Times.