Up to 1,000 police officers are ready to take part in a protest against the COVID blockade in Sydney this weekend.
This follows a previous announcement that 300 Australian Defense Force (ADF) personnel were called in to assist police in complying with COVID restrictions.
New South Wales (NSW) police commissioner Mick Fuller said law enforcement is monitoring online activity and believes protest events are likely to occur.
“It doesn’t seem to be the same number. It can still be violent,” he told reporters on July 30.
“Don’t come to Sydney to protest tomorrow. If you do, up to 1,000 police are ready to deal with you, whether through health orders or other laws,” he said. Warned.
So far, NSW police have detained 60 people from protests and issued 200 infringement notices last week.
On July 24, thousands of individuals participated in protests against COVID blockade restrictions. Police made several arrests and established a task force to identify all rally participants.
Strike Force Seasoned has used social media, CCTV feeds, and police cameras to identify participants.
So far, police have also received 20,000 tip-offs from the general public, including photos and the names of alleged participants.
Greater Sydney has been blocked for five weeks due to the outbreak of a delta variant of the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus, commonly known as the new coronavirus. On July 28, the blockade was extended for another four weeks, and the government said vaccination rates were low.
Five million inhabitants are affected and cannot leave the house for essential reasons.
Dr. Kelly Chant, Chief Medical Officer of NSW, said authorities are also investigating whether COVID-positive people attended the event.
Police confirmed that a 35-year-old man from Granville, western Sydney, was identified in a CBD 20 km away, despite being subject to a stay-at-home order. He was fined $ 1,000 and told to return home, but the next day he tested positive for COVID-19.
“We are working with the police to see if the person attended the (protest),” Chant told reporters. “If the person participated in the protest, they would have been infectious.”
Blood Hazard, Secretary of State for Health, New South Wales, said he was effectively “carrying a deadly weapon. He was carrying the virus.”
Mr Chant said he was unaware of the protest infection, but the investigation continued and authorities would adopt a hard line.
“I am fully addressing the fact that people need to be less tolerant of places that are significantly breaking the rules. This is a serious illness, too serious a situation for people. Can’t go out on purpose. It’s positive, “she said.
New South Wales Prime Minister Gladys Berejikrian told opposition candidates that “behavior will be hurt.”
“Don’t sentence your loved one to death,” she told reporters.