A magnitude 6.0 earthquake struck Sichuan Province in southwestern China early Thursday morning, according to Chinese state media.
According to local governments, at least three people were killed and three were seriously injured in Lu County, which was hit by the center of the quake.
Lu County, a division of Luzhou City, is located approximately 126 miles southeast of Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan Province. Lou also borders the big city of Chongqing in China.
While hundreds of homes in Lu County collapsed, at least 57 people were slightly injured, Sichan’s local state media reported.
In response to the earthquake, Schan’s state authorities have launched Level 2 response, the second highest in China’s four-layer earthquake emergency response system.
According to China’s Seismic Network Center, the deep-focus earthquake was 10 kilometers (6.2 miles). The epicenter was monitored at latitude 29.2 degrees north and longitude 105.34 degrees east.
An unnamed resident of Kaova, a village in Lu County, told Chinese state media The Paper that his neighbor was one of the dead.
According to residents, a man in his 60s, a neighbor, tried to escape from a two-story house after the earthquake. Before I went out, I hit a wall and fell. He died soon.
Residents said many locals in his village decided to stay outdoors for the time being despite the rain.
Around 10 am local time, the local government reported that thousands of locals had been taken away from their homes. The local emergency shelter has accepted more than 10,000 people.
In 2008, a magnitude 8.0 earthquake struck Sichuan, killing tens of thousands of people. Many are school children who died when the school building collapsed. The quake has hurt the credibility of the Red Cross Society of China, which is backed by the Chinese government, which mismanaged a donation fund designated for survivors.
The Red Cross Society of China is not affiliated with the International Committee of the Red Cross.
Reuters contributed to this article..