Australians warned about mushroom hunting after the early appearance of toxic Death Cap mushrooms


The Australian Food Safety Information Council has warned adventurous food eaters not to choose wild mushrooms due to the early arrival of the deadly death cap fungus after a summer flood.

Toxic mushrooms grow all seasons of the year, but appear particularly rapidly in moist areas.

According to public voices on consumer food safety information, death caps can be mistaken for the more common edible mushrooms, but they are poisonous enough to kill healthy adults.

Nine tenths of mushroom poisoning has been reported to be caused by introduced wild species that grow primarily in Canberra and Melbourne and have also been found in Tasmania and Adelaide since Christmas.

“Although rare, most of Australia’s mushroom poisoning deaths are due to the death cap,” council chairman and microbiologist Kathy More said in a statement.

It is difficult to distinguish between toxic and harmless mushrooms, so she recommends that people assume that all wild mushrooms are toxic.

“Play safely and eat only mushrooms purchased from supermarkets, greengrocers, or other reputable sources,” Moia said.

“The toxin of Amanitaceae is not destroyed by peeling, cooking or drying.”

Symptoms of poisoning usually appear 6 to 24 hours after eating, including abdominal pain and diarrhea.

“These symptoms may be alleviated for 2-3 days before the final stage of 3-4 days begins. Without early and effective medical intervention, people will fall into a coma and the liver and kidneys. You can die a few weeks after your failure, “Moir said.

More than one-third of calls to the New South Wales (NSW) Toxic Information Center in 2020 were for children under the age of five exposed to toxic mushrooms.

Epoch Times Photo
Authorities have warned Australians not to go mushroom hunting after the recent sticky summer has caused the early emergence of Amanitaceae. (Kopikya / Shutterstock)

‚ÄúParents, schools and nursery teachers should regularly check for mushrooms in outdoor areas and gardens and remove them to reduce the risk of accidental poisoning. This also protects your pet. “Moia said.

“If you suspect you’ve eaten amanitaceae, don’t wait for the symptoms to appear, preferably put the mushrooms in a container (and wash your hands after handling) and go to the hospital’s emergency department.”

Moia also said that Australia has other mushrooms that people should know about.

The yellow stain, which is similar to various Cortinarius and Galerina species, ghost mushrooms (commonly mistaken for cortinarius), and field mushrooms and is the most commonly ingested toxic mushroom in Victoria and NSW, also dies or vomits. And can cause mild illnesses such as diarrhea.

If you have any concerns about possible wild mushroom poisoning, you can contact the Toxicology Information Center at 13 1126.

Jesse Chan

follow

Jessie Zhang is a Sydney-based reporter with Australian news and a focus on health and the environment. Contact her at [email protected]

Posted on