Australia’s first blockade ban begins in Sydney


Despite opposition from workers and lobby groups, the new COVID-19 restrictions have begun today, closing construction sites throughout Greater Sydney.

From small home renovations to large-scale construction projects such as Sydney Western Airport and Sydney Football Stadium, the state has recorded 98 more incidents and is being told to stop all construction. ..

“No one is asymptomatic, visits multiple workplaces, visits places with hundreds of workers, or spreads the disease,” New South Wales said. Prime Minister Gladys Berejikrian told reporters today.. “It’s a threat that’s too big.”

“Getting out of the future as soon as possible” is a difficult decision in the state’s greatest interests, said Beregikrian.

“I absolutely believe that if we get together and work hard, we can break this down, but that’s when we’re in crisis and the government has to make those difficult decisions. That’s why it didn’t, “she said.

The ban in Sydney is the first time the blockade in Australia has stopped construction activities in Australia.

According to the Australian Construction Association (ACA), industry groups are calling on premieres to review the ban. This could cost the state an estimated $ 1 billion (US $ 739 million) or more per week and could affect more than 250,000 workers.

“We understand the government’s need and desire to overcome this latest outbreak, but I think the government has really gone a step further by shutting down the entire industry,” said ACA CEO. Jon Davies told 2GB radio.. “I think this was overkill and completely unnecessary.”

Epoch Times Photo
A closed construction site on July 18, 2021 in Fairfield, Sydney, Australia. (Jenny Evans / Getty Images)

New South Wales Health Minister Brad Hazard told reporters that not all cabinet ministers agreed with the move, but ultimately supported the decision.

The construction union, CFMEU, said they and the industry have fought to keep construction open and operating under the COVID safety protocol.

The union said the decision would affect one of the state’s largest workforces, which is important to the state and the national economy.

“Despite this work, the New South Wales Government has decided to shut down the entire Sydney construction industry without notice,” CFMEU New South Wales Secretary Darren Greenfield said in a statement. I am. “Unions prioritize ensuring payments for contractors and workers’ wages last week and ensuring that they have access to the appropriate qualifications to assist them over the next few weeks. . “

NSW Minister of Labor and Management Called Federal and state treasurers are reviving JobKeeper to help those who will be unemployed for the next two weeks.

Comments from CFMEU come after truck drivers organized a rally on July 17 to protest the construction ban.



Posted on