Biden released a 19-year detainee from Guantanamo Bay, who had been detained for four years despite Trump being granted release.


Guantanamo Bay

Guantanamo Bay Detainee Getty Images

  • The Biden administration transferred the first detainees from Guatanamo Bay.

  • According to the NYT, Abdul Latif Nasser, which has been held there since 2002, has been repatriated to Morocco.

  • He was granted release in 2016, but then remained in Guatanamo under the Trump administration.

  • See other articles on Insider’s business page..

The Biden administration released the first detainees from Guatanamo Bay 20 years after they were arrested and five years after they were granted permission to release them.

Abdul Latif Nacelle, 56, was repatriated to his native Morocco on Monday and handed over to the government. The New York Times reported..

He was captured by a Pakistani agent in 2001 and has been in Guantanamo since 2002.

The United States has accused him of being involved in the Taliban, but like many Guantanamo inmates, he has never been charged with a crime.

The Times reported that Nasser was advised to be released in 2016, but he remained under Trump’s administration and suspended transfers from Guatanamo.

Former President Barack Obama’s special envoy to arrange transfers from Guantanamo in 2015 and 2016 said his office had arranged to repatriate two men, including Nacelle and the Times. report..

Nacelle family Told ABC News in 2019 They began preparing for his return, but felt betrayed by the US government.

According to The Times, 39 prisoners remain in Guatanamo Bay.

Read the original article Business insider

Posted on