Bombardment reported in Eastern Ukraine in conflicting statements


According to Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba, the village of Stanitia Luhanska in eastern Ukraine was bombarded with heavy weapons from the “occupied Donbas” area.

“Private infrastructure has been damaged. In an already tense security situation, we call on all partners to swiftly condemn this serious breach of the Minsk agreement by Russia.” He wrote on twitter..

Since 2014, the Donbas region has been occupied by saying that Ukrainian and Western troops are pro-Russian separatists. Photos posted online are allegedly showing damage to Stanytsia Luhanska’s kindergarten.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky claimed that pro-Russian troops bombarded the kindergarten, which he called a “big provocation.” The Kremlin said Moscow was “seriously concerned” about the escalation report after separatists accused government forces of firing on their territory four times in the last 24 hours.

The self-proclaimed People’s Republic of Luhansk, one of the two rebel regions, said Ukrainian troops used mortars, grenade launchers, and machine guns in four separate incidents on Thursday.

“Ukrainian troops have roughly violated the ceasefire regime, using heavy weapons to withdraw according to the Minsk Agreement,” the separatists said in a statement.

Ukraine Russia satellite image Maxar Technologies
Ukrainian armored vehicles will drive on February 10, 2022, during a military exercise near Kharkiv, Ukraine. (Andrew Marienko / AP)

In response to reports of the bombardment, Pentagon Secretary Lloyd Austin in Brussels for the NATO meeting said the United States is investigating allegations that the kindergarten was bombarded. He said the case was “certainly annoying,” and “he had previously said that Russians might do this to justify a military conflict, so watch carefully. I will continue. “

White House officials have repeatedly warned in recent weeks that Russia, which has gathered more than 100,000 troops near the Ukrainian border, will invade its neighbors. Moscow categorically denied these allegations, stating that it was the United States and NATO that were trying to spread propaganda to trigger an excuse for war in Eastern Europe.

Thursday NATO Secretary-General Jason Stoltenberg Claim Russia now has the resources to carry out a “full-scale invasion of Ukraine” with little or no warning. In a dispute between Russia and Belarus’ statement that their troops are conducting military exercises in the area, Stoltenberg said it was “not a regular exercise.”

“And that makes this situation very dangerous,” Stoltenberg told reporters. “So we know about their abilities, but of course we definitely don’t know about their intentions, so we still don’t know what they do.”

There were reports this week claiming that Russia would attack on February 16, but that didn’t happen. In response to allegations that Russia could launch an attack on February 20, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said such statements were false.

“It looks like another fake has been created. At least I hope you and I don’t trust such falsehoods,” he said. Said TASS news agency. “There are many dates, and there are far more specific dates … everything turned out to be false, irresponsible fake, but in the end none of their authors admit they were wrong. It was, “Peskov said.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Jack phillips

follow

Jack Phillips is the latest news reporter for The Epoch Times, based in New York.



Posted on