Britain sends Ukrainian long-range rocket system to counter Russian bombardment


Britain will supply Ukraine with a multiple launch rocket system to protect the country from Russia’s long-range artillery, Defense Minister Ben Wallace announced.

The state-of-the-art M270 weapon system can attack targets up to 50 miles (80 km) away with “pinpoint accuracy”, bringing “significant improvements in capabilities” to the Ukrainian army, the Department of Defense (MoD) said. increase.

The latest British proposal responds to the demand from the Ukrainian army for longer range precision weapons to protect themselves from Russian heavy artillery that has been used to have devastating effects in the eastern Donbus region. Said MoD.

In a statement, Wallace said: If the international community continues to support, I think Ukraine can win.

“As Russia’s tactics change, so does its support for Ukraine. These highly capable multiple launcher systems protect Ukrainian friends from the brutal use of long-range artillery. It makes it possible. [Russian President Vladimir] Putin’s army has used it indiscriminately to flatten the city. “

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Britain is providing a weapons system to help Ukrainian troops “effectively repel the ongoing onslaught of Russia.”

“We can’t wait while Russian long-range artillery flattens the city and kills innocent citizens,” he writes. twitter..

Following a phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Monday morning, Johnson Said: “It is clear that the Ukrainians will not succumb to the atrocities of Russia. We are unwavering in our mission to ensure that Ukraine is long-term defended and supported.”

MoD said the decision to provide a launcher was in close coordination with the US government, which said it would supply Ukraine with a high-mobility artillery rocket system.

When the United States announced that it would send missiles, Putin vowed to reach a new goal.

“If they are delivered, we will draw the right conclusions and use enough weapons to attack objects that we haven’t hit yet,” he said with the state television channel Russia-1. Taken on Friday as mentioned in the interview.

Residents of Kieu woke up on Sunday to the first Russian strike in the capital since April 28, but Moscow troops are also maintaining steady pressure with artillery and air strikes in the East Donbus region.

Meanwhile, the United Kingdom has announced that it will provide a dedicated legal and police team to assist the prosecutor in investigating Russia’s alleged war crimes in Ukraine.

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Justice Dominic Raab announced on Monday a second package of support for independent investigations, in addition to the £ 1 million ($ 1.3 million) funding provided by the UK Government earlier this year.

The offer includes dedicated Metropolitan Police Department personnel stationed in The Hague to provide the International Criminal Court and its prosecutor Karim Ahmad with quick access to British police and military expertise.

PA Media contributed to this report.

Alexander Chan

follow



Posted on