Britain will begin withdrawing troops from Afghanistan by May 1st



The Defense Ministry has confirmed that Britain, in cooperation with NATO allies, will begin withdrawing its military presence in Afghanistan by May 1.

The British presence in Afghanistan began in 2001 as part of Operation NATO following the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the United States.

“NATO has gathered one of the largest coalitions in history to serve in Afghanistan. Our troops entered Afghanistan together, we coordinated together, and now we leave together. “The Transatlantic Military Alliance statement Published Wednesday night.

The UK Ministry of Defense issued a statement following NATO’s announcement.

“The people of Afghanistan deserve a peaceful and stable future,” said British Defense Minister Ben Wallace. statement..

“When we draw down, the security of our people currently serving in Afghanistan remains our priority, and it is clear that attacks on the Allies will be filled with a strong response.

“The British masses and our military community, both service and veterans, have lasting memories of our time in Afghanistan. Most importantly, those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. Must be remembered. They will never be forgotten. “

Foreign Minister Dominic Raab said Britain is standing with NATO and the people of Afghanistan “to support a more stable and peaceful future for the country and the wider region.”

“We will increase Afghanistan’s autonomy, continue to support anti-terrorism, support the orderly withdrawal of the military, and protect the interests gained over the last two decades,” he said. statement..

US President Joe Biden said Wednesday that all US troops would be withdrawn from Afghanistan by September 11.

He said it was “the time to end the longest war in America” ​​and “the time when the American troops returned home.”

His predecessor, former President Donald Trump, has made several attempts to lower the level of the military.
Last year, Trump announced an agreement with the Taliban, stating that the military would withdraw from Afghanistan by May 1.

NATO said the drawdowns were “orderly, coordinated and deliberate” and that the Taliban’s attacks on the withdrawing Allied forces were filled with “strong responses.”

The alliance said it would “continue to support the ongoing Afghan-owned and Afghan-led peace process” and told the Afghan government and the Taliban to “comply with the US Taliban Agreement and its commitment to the peace process initiated by the United States.” I asked. -Afghanistan Joint Declaration. “

“NATO’s allies and partners will continue to work with Afghanistan, its people, and its institutions in promoting security and maintaining profits for the last two decades,” a NATO statement said.

“Retreating our troops does not mean ending our relationship with Afghanistan. Rather, this is the beginning of a new chapter.”

Jack Phillips contributed to this report.



Posted on