British police arrest two men in Texas synagogue hostage case

British police said on Wednesday that two men had been arrested in the city of Manchester, England, as part of an investigation into a hostage incident in the Texas synagogue involving British national Malik Faisal Akram.

Akram, 44, from Blackburn, Lancashire, was shot dead on January 15 after a 10-hour standoff at the Congregation Beth Israel Synagogue in Colleyville, Texas.

Greater Manchester police announced the latest developments, saying two men were arrested and detained for interrogation in Manchester on Wednesday morning.

Epoch Times Photo
Malik Faisal Akram at the Homeless Shelter in Dallas, Texas, January 2, 2022. (Our Calling via AP, LLC)

“We are working closely with and supporting US law enforcement agencies,” said a police officer in the northwestern part of the anti-terrorism police.

Two men arrested in Birmingham and Manchester on January 20 as part of the same investigation were released without further action.

FBI officials are investigating the case as a “terrorism-related issue” on January 16, and Neuroscience has been sentenced to 86 years in prison after being convicted of attempting murder. He said he requested the release of his Aafia Siddiki. And attack Americans in Afghanistan.

At a press conference in Texas last Friday, the FBI said Akram was unknown and had no prior contact with US intelligence.

The bureau said it is conducting a “rigorous” analysis of Akram’s companions, his online presence, and his device.

According to reports from the British media, Akram was on the watchlist of MI5, a British security service. He was reportedly investigated by MI5 in 2020 for possible terrorist threats, but the investigation ended after authorities determined he was not a threat.

It is not yet clear how Akram, who had a criminal record in Britain, was able to travel to the United States around New Year. US officials believe Akram had a visa and arrived at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, where he purchased the pistol used in the incident.

Malik Akram’s younger brother, Galver Akram, told the media, citing a man’s mental health problems he said he should never have been allowed to get a visa for his brother.

Recordings obtained by the London-based Jewish Chronicle newspaper appear to show the tense final conversation between Akram and his brother.

While the siege was underway, Akram called his family in Blackburn, and he gave anti-Semitic rants and told his brother that he was “dying.” You can hear it.

Galver repeatedly tried to persuade his brother to surrender, but Akram insisted that he “wants to descend as a martyr.”

Zachary Stieber and PA Media contributed to this report.

Alexander Chan