British veteran Simon Lingard dies during fighting in Ukraine

A British veteran died while fighting Ukrainian forces against a Russian invasion, his family confirmed.

Simon Lingard “died fighting for what he believed in” on November 7, his family said.

The family launched a fundraising page asking for help in giving him the “best send-off”.

The GoFundMe page says:

“My father was an inspiration to all who knew him. A real-life hero who fought and died for what he believed in. He was loved and loved by many.” He truly represented what a soldier should be.”

They described the loss as “absolutely heartbroken”.

“The Ukrainian army has offered to take him back to England, but we need your help to show him the respect and adoration he deserves by giving him the maximum send-off he deserves,” the message added. .

According to British media reports, Lingard died while defending the city of Bahmut from a Russian attack.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: “We are supporting the family of a British man who lost his life in Ukraine and are in contact with local authorities in connection with his death. Our thoughts are with their families.”

Brits supporting Ukraine

Many British veterans and British with no combat experience traveled to Ukraine to join the resistance against Russian aggression. A small number of British soldiers are also believed to have been truant to travel to the war-torn country.

In April, British veteran Scott Sibley was reportedly killed in Ukraine while fighting Russian forces.

In June, Jordan Gatley, a former British soldier who left the British Army and traveled to Ukraine in March, was shot dead in the eastern Ukraine city of Severodonetsk.

In September, five Britons held by Russian-backed forces in Ukraine returned to Britain after being released as part of a prisoner exchange.

Four of them, Aiden Aslin, John Harding, Andrew Hill and Sean Pinner, were captured while fighting for the Ukrainian Army.

Another Dylan Healy was volunteering in Ukraine as an aid worker.

Another British aid worker, Paul Urie, reportedly died in custody in July after being captured by pro-Russian separatists.

In early September, the Ukrainian government said Ury’s body, which was returned, had “signs of possible unspeakable torture”.

PA Media contributed to this report.

Alexander Chan