Burmese Suu Kyi asks court to see her lawyer, activists urge New Year’s rebellion

Burmese (also known as Myanmar) detained government leader Aung San Suu Kyi video links to court on Monday to face accusations brought by military junta who can see her imprisoned For many years asking her to allow her to meet her lawyer in person when she appeared at a hearing through.

When Suu Kyi appeared, her supporters called on people to oppose the February 1 coup, mainly during this week’s traditional New Year holidays in Buddhist countries.

Suu Kyi, 75, who led the Burmese military junta struggle for decades and won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991, has been detained since the coup and charged with various crimes. These include violating colonial secret laws that could allow her to be imprisoned for 14 years.

She has been allowed to speak to lawyers via videolinks in front of security officials, and it is unclear if she has even noticed the turmoil that has involved the country since the military seized power.

When asked if the legal team could talk to her about a protest that killed more than 700 people, lawyer Min Min Saw said, “No, we can only talk about legal issues. I couldn’t, “he told Reuters.

The lawyer said he looked healthy when Suu Kyi repeated requests to meet him in person. The next hearing will be on April 26th.

In addition to official secret accusations, Suu Kyi was charged with illegally possessing two-way radio and violating the coronavirus protocol. She has also been accused by the ruling military council of bribery.

Her lawyer states that the charges have been overwhelmed and the bribery accusation has been dismissed as a joke.

An additional complaint against her was filed on Monday in connection with the coronavirus rules, Minminso said.

The coup put Burma in jeopardy after a decade of interim measures towards democracy as the military withdrew from politics and allowed Suu Kyi to form a government after sweeping the 2015 elections. It was.

The military says the government had to be overthrown because the November elections, when the National League for Democracy won again, were fraudulent. The Election Commission dismissed the accusation.

The coup caused relentless protests by those who opposed the junta and unwavering oppression by the general, who said that only they could save the country from collapse.

Silent protest

Security forces have killed 710 protesters since the coup, according to a group of activists from the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners (AAPP).

This included 82 people killed on Friday in the town of Bago, about 70 km (45 miles) northeast of Yangon.

Despite the violence, people returned to the streets every day, demanding the end of the junta and the release of Suu Kyi’s leaders.

Activists canceled the traditional New Year’s festival on Tuesday and instead showed their anger through a quiet display of national rebellion and small protests.

The five-day New Year holidays, known as the Yen Yang, are usually celebrated with prayers, cleaning of temple Buddha rituals, and vibrant flooding on the streets.

“We are not celebrating Myanmar’s Tingyan this year because more than 700 of our innocent brave souls have been killed,” said a Twitter user named Shwe Ei.

Finely dressed women protested on Tuesday on the most important holiday of the year and had a traditional pot with seven flowers and twigs on display during this time.

Many have painted the protester’s three-fingered salute on their Thingyan pot.

Small protests were held in many towns, according to images posted by the media. In some places, people put out dozens of tin yang pots filled with messages like “Save Myanmar” in a silent show against the military.

There were no immediate reports of violence, but information is lacking due to military junta regulations on broadband internet and mobile data services.

A military junta spokesman was not asked to comment.