Ottawa — Canadians return to memorials and monuments across the country on Thursday morning to remember and pay tribute to those who died in battle for Canada.
This year’s Remembrance Day ceremony is in stark contrast to last year, which discouraged organizers from attending directly for the second wave of COVID-19.
Royal Society of Canada spokeswoman Nujima Bond hopes to return to normal, including the National War Memorial in Ottawa, where people are welcome to attend.
According to Bond, COVID-19 continues to pose a threat and some restrictions and changes will continue to be implemented as there are mask and physical distance requirements for those planning to attend the ceremony.
The corps also canceled the traditional veterans parade in Ottawa again. It has seen in the past World War II and senior South Korean veterans marching with responders to recent conflicts and operations.
“But there are areas where veterans who want to attend the ceremony want to stand and sit near the National War Memorial,” Bond said.
She added that some Legion chapters across the country are also refraining from face-to-face events again for a pandemic and are asking people to watch local ceremonies on TV or online instead. This is also an option for national ceremonies.
Prior to this year’s event, there was a question about whether the government would keep the flag half-mast in memory of indigenous children who died in housing schools.
However, after the government chose to bring the flag back to full height on Sunday, it will be lowered again on Monday to commemorate the Day of Indigenous Veterans and will be lowered again on Thursday.
With the exception of mask and physical distance requirements and the decision not to parade veterans, Bond said this year’s national ceremony included many of the elements that Canadians have come to know for decades. Said that
This includes reading memorials in English, French, and indigenous languages. Bond said it will be Michif Metis this year.