US tennis player Coco Gauff tested positive for the coronavirus and was forced to withdraw from the Tokyo Olympics.
“I’m so disappointed with sharing the news that I’m positive for COVID and I can’t compete in the Tokyo Olympics,” Gauff said. Tweet on Sunday.
“It was my dream to represent America at the Olympics. I hope there are more opportunities to do this in the future.”
The 17-year-old lost to Angelique Kerber 6-4, 6-4 on the center court in the fourth round at Wimbledon earlier this month. It was the second time he lost at that stage after making a breakthrough at the All England Club in 2019.
Gauff is 25th in the WTA ranking.
“I was sad to know that Coco Gauff tested positive for COVID-19 and therefore could not participate in the Tokyo 2020 Olympics,” the United States Tennis Association said in a statement.
“When she deals with this unfortunate situation, we hope she will do her best, and she hopes she will return to court soon. Coco joins us all, We know that we will travel to Japan and support other Team USA members competing in the next few days. “
The Olympics will start in Tokyo on Friday and will continue until August 8.
Other AP Olympics: https: //apnews.com/hub/olympic-games and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports