Coroner, Quebec, resented the delay in taking the nurse to the smashing Residence Heron.


Montreal — Coroner’s testimony about the situation in a long-term care facility outside Montreal, which killed 47 people during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, shows how long it will take her to get proper help from residents on Friday. He said he was shocked.

Géhane Kamel talks to a team of 12 nurses he hired from a nurse arriving at Résidence Herron on April 9, 2020, about 10 days after the local health authorities saw the dire situation in person. I commented after hearing.

Prior to that, community health officials serving western Montreal helped in a seriously understaffed private care facility, but received very few formal nursing training. ..

Kamel is Que by a qualified nurse. I was wondering how long it would take to get to Dorval’s home.

“I’m a little appalled,” she said. “On April 9, it was nearly 10 days that we found those people dying slowly. As a society, we abandoned them.”

Asked why it took so long to place frontline staff at Heron’s facility, nurse Marie Eve Ronpre said her boss officially managed a private care facility and was completely in control. He said he told her he wasn’t authorized to take charge.

A nurse at St Mary’s Hospital in Montreal, Ronpre, who formed a team to help Heron, was emotional and sometimes weeping at the stand.

She said that only four hours after the scene, some nurses wanted to leave and were completely depressed. And some of the problems with Heron preceded the pandemic.

She described a resident who came to her in dirty clothes, and when she suggested a bath, the resident asked if towels were available. Upon examining the file, Ronpre found that every week since December 2019, the notation “no towels” was entered when the resident was supposed to take a bath.

Lompre also said he saw an unconscious hypothermic resident in the room. At the same time, the phone in the room rang and it was the woman’s husband. The nurse woke up, opened her eyes, noticed her husband’s voice, and began to cry. The resident told her husband that she thought she couldn’t survive and was later transferred to a hospital where she died.

Later on Friday, Elene Paradis, chief pharmacist at the local health authority, described the disorganized pharmacy in her home.

The nurse sent to help couldn’t find the medicine she needed, so she had to clean it. Paradis said he found the drug in 2016 and 2017, and in some cases in 1994.

Paradis said he found an open insulin and drug vial wrapped in frost in the freezer. The narcotics were improperly stored and there were no doses.

“You’re explaining dangerous practices,” said Dr. Jack Ramsey, a coroner who supports Camel.

After cleaning up, Paradis said he needed to get rid of the equivalent of a dozen large trash bags.

Camel’s study investigated 53 deaths in six long-term care facilities and one elderly home during the first wave of the pandemic.

By Lia Lévesque

Canadian press