Court re-continues women’s defamation proceedings vs. Trump


New York (AP) — Following a decision by the New York Supreme Court on Tuesday, former President Donald Trump may face questions under oath about allegations of sexual assault against him by a former “apprentice” contestant. ..

Evidence gathering has been suspended in the summer Zelbos defamation proceedings since Trump asked the High Court last year to declare that the president had protected him from being sued in state court. In a sentence, the Court of Appeals has thrown Trump’s appeal as a dispute now that Trump has left the White House.

Female lawyer Summer Zelbos Asked the High Court to invalidate the appeal Then, by returning her defamation proceeding to the court of first instance and both sides continuing to seek pretrial evidence, Zerbos’ lawyer will eventually swear to Trump and he will be able to ask her questions. There is a possibility. The deadline for such questions, known as testimony recording, is Was set last year Before Trump appeals to the High Court.

Lawyers Beth Wilkinson and Moira Penza said in a statement Tuesday, “Currently, defendants have no excuse to delay Mr. Zelbos’s justice. We would like to return to the court of first instance to prove her claim. “.

A request for comment was sent to Trump’s lawyer. Zelbos’ lawyer said in a court filing last month that Trump’s lawyer did not object to dismissing the appeal.

Zelbos has sued Trump twice in 2007, claiming he had kissed and groped undesirably, calling him a liar after being released during the 2016 campaign. She appeared on the reality show “The Apprentice” in 2006 and said she was looking for it. Just for career advice when she later contacts him.

She described the woman who accused him of sexually assaulting and harassing him after retweeting a message he called his claim “hoax” as a “liar” trying to undermine the president’s chances.

Trump’s lawyer, Mark Kasowitz, said the former president’s remarks were true, protected by the right to free speech, and Zelbos’s allegations were worthless.

Zelbos seeks withdrawal, apology and damages.

The Associated Press generally does not identify people who claim to have been sexually assaulted unless they are publicly announced.

Posted on