Estonian authorities have deployed more than 1,600 reserve troops in an unannounced exercise scheduled to begin Wednesday as the crisis of illegal immigration in nearby Belarus intensifies.
so statement The army issued by the Government on 17 November includes 1,636 reserves from various units centered on engineers to strengthen border infrastructure from 17 to 25 November.
“The main purpose of Exercise OKAS / QUILL is to test the chain of command of defense, from the Estonian government’s decision to the preparation of a particular unit for combat in a swift response structure,” the statement said.
Preliminary technicians will also work to establish temporary barriers in border areas “previously used by organized crime to promote illegal immigrants,” officials said.
Estonian police and border guards said in a statement received by news agency Reuters that a 40-kilometer razor wire fence would be installed along the Russian border, which has the highest risk of illegal crossing. rice field.
“What’s happening in Poland and Lithuania? Latvia also needs to strengthen Estonia’s border infrastructure,” said Elmer Vahel, police chief and border guard.
Defense Minister Kale Rahnet said in a press conference last week that the border crisis could lead to a military conflict, “the possibility of escalation is very high.”
Other Belarusian neighbors of the European Union, such as Poland, Lithuania and Latvia, have already set up additional border infrastructure and deployed thousands of troops. Poland also declared a cross-border emergency last month.
On Tuesday, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) expressed concern about the growing crisis at the EU border with Belarus, while providing support to Poland.
The EU ambassador said last week that the increase in the number of illegal immigrants flying to Belarus to reach the EU border corresponds to the “hybrid war” by Belarusian leader Alexander Rybakchenka, who will be the basis for new sanctions against Minsk. I agreed.
The new round of sanctions is set to target Belarusian officials, who the EU says have organized the arrival of migrants to avenge the sanctions on Minsk for human rights abuses.
Belarus repeatedly denied such operations and accused all Western misconduct, saying that it was the “victim” of a “hybrid attack” using unconventional warfare tactics, not the EU. Rejected.
from NTD News