Europe-South Korea-backed consortium wins Philippine airport project previously pushed by China


A consortium of South Korean and European companies has won an $11 billion airport project in the Philippines. The project was previously awarded to a Chinese state-owned enterprise.

On Sept. 14, the Cavite provincial government awarded a multinational consortium of companies from the Philippines, South Korea, and Europe a contract to develop the Sangray Point International Airport (SPIA).

The group includes local firms Cavitex Holdings, House of Investments and MacroAsia Corporation owned by Philippine mogul Lucio Tan, as well as South Korea’s Samsung C&T Construction, Germany’s Munich Airport and Ove Arup & Partners Hong Kong Ltd. will be

and Joint statementthe consortium said the SPIA project “will initially serve as a replacement for the Ninoy Aquino International Airport” and “meet the expected increase in demand for air transportation over the next 30 years.” [to] 40 years.

“Sangley Point International Airport is envisioned as a two-runway airport with a capacity of 80 million passengers per year and could be expanded to four runways to handle up to 130 million passengers per year. I can.”

The project included the construction of a 4-kilometer (2.5-mile) connecting road with provisions for rail connection, as well as a fully integrated logistics and air support facility.

According to a joint release, the SPIA development is expected to create 50,000 jobs, bring in foreign direct investment, and boost trade and economic development in the Philippines.

China lost SPIA deal

MacroAsia was originally affiliated with China Communications Construction Co. Ltd. (CCCC). They won his $10 billion SPIA project in December 2019, but it ended last year after failing to submit post-qualification paperwork.

This is despite the company being given four extensions to file the required paperwork, local outlet Rappler reportCavite Governor Juanito Victor said the cancellation “will not hurt anyone.”

“Negotiations are canceled, but we hope that the project will resume and that we will have progressive negotiations with more qualified partners by October 2021,” he said. Facebook January 26, 2021.

CCCC’s subsidiary was among Chinese companies blacklisted in america In 2020, China was accused of supporting “the construction and militarization of internationally condemned artificial islands in the South China Sea.”

The Philippines canceled a loan application to China in early July after the Chinese Communist regime “withdrew” three rail deals with former President Rodrigo Duterte.

Projects include the 142 billion pesos (approximately $2.5 billion) Philippine National Railway Bicol Project (PNR Bicol), the 83 billion pesos (approximately $1.47 billion) Mindanao Railway, and the 51 billion pesos (approximately $906 million) Subic Clark Includes railroad.

Aldogra Fredry

follow

Aldgra Fredly is a Malaysia-based freelance writer covering Asia Pacific news for The Epoch Times.