Ottawa — A date has been set for the government to make a promised apology to victims of military sexual misconduct.
The Ministry of Defense announced on Monday that the apology will take place on December 13 and will be divided into three parts.
Defense Minister Anita Anand apologizes on behalf of the government, Defense President Wayne Eyre does the same for the military, and Defense Deputy Minister Jody Thomas represents the ministry.
Officials had previously stated that they wanted a face-to-face event, but the Defense Department said the apology would be effectively delivered and streamed online.
The apology was first promised in 2019 as part of a $ 600 million settlement agreement with current and former service members in several class proceedings.
As part of a settlement closed last week, the government faced a request for apology from the Royal Society of Canada and others before the 18-month period for victims to file their claims.
Approximately 19,000 claims were submitted and more than 5,000 claims have already been approved before the end of the billing period last Wednesday. An additional 4,000 are seeking participation in “restorative involvement.”
“We know that our collective failure to build a comprehensive work culture free from these unacceptable behaviors has hurt our people,” said Anand, Eyre and Thomas. Said in a joint statement.
“As part of efforts to restore relationships with victims, public to all members of current and previous defense teams affected by sexual assault and sexual misconduct, including harassment and discrimination. I will provide an apology. “
NS Lee Berthiaume