In a statement, the French president said seven Italians convicted of domestic terrorist crimes on the left, including several former members of the Paris-Red Brigades, had been arrested in France.
French police have arrested them on a warrant searching for suspects in Italy for “terrorist acts,” the statement said. The arrested individuals fled Italy and fled abroad before being imprisoned to end their sentence. French police were searching for the other three who were not at home.
Crimes convicted in Italy by some of the arrested include the killing of the Carabinieri paramilitary organization in 1980 and the kidnapping of judges in 1980.
According to Italian police, the five arrested under the codename “Red Brigades” were former members of the Red Brigades, a group that killed, kidnapped, or so-called “kneecapped” in the 1970s and 1980s. I was shot in the foot by an attacker who fled. The group later went dormant.
Among those detained in France was Giorgio Petrostefani, 77, a radical of the far-left group Lotta Continua. Petrostefani was convicted of the murder of Milan police chief Luigi Calabresi in 1972 and sentenced to 22 years in prison.
The killing of the police chief was one of the most notorious crimes during the so-called “Year of Lead,” when terrorist acts committed by the far right and far left in the 1970s and 1980s made Italy bloody.
Carabresi led an anarchist cross-examination of Giuseppe Pinelli about the bombing of a bank in Milan, which killed 17 people in 1969. Pinelli died from the 4th floor of the police headquarters. The police chief was shot three times from behind while walking towards the car. Bank bombings have never been resolved, and Pinelli’s death affected plays and movies.
The other person arrested belonged to an armed cell against territorial power, which Italian police described as a destructive group. Narciso Manenti was convicted of the murder of a Carabinieri police officer in 1979. Italian police said he married a French citizen in 1985.
According to the French president, contacting the French prosecutor on Italy’s request will focus on “significant bilateral work” to prepare for the arrest and subsequent “more serious crimes” by investigators. Continued. Italy initially identified 200 individuals.
“France, also hit by terrorism, understands the need for justice for its victims,” the statement said.
The Ministers of Justice of France and Italy met on April 9. The Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera reported that Italian Minister of Justice Marta Cartabia had formally demanded expulsion on that occasion.
French Interior Minister Gerald Dalmanin said on French interradio that it is now up to French courts to decide whether arrested people will be handed over to Italy.
The French president said a definitive delivery decision could take a couple of years, depending on the appeal process. Courts in Paris are expected to decide in the next few days whether arrested people will remain in prison or be released and placed under judicial oversight.
According to Italian police, the various European Arrest Warrants that allowed them to be captured were expected to expire between December and 2023 this year.
In 1985, France established a policy known as the “Mitterrand Doctrine”, named after Socialist President Francois Mitterrand. Italian far-left activists who fled to France said they would not be handed over to Italy unless there was evidence that they had committed a “blood crime.”
This policy has been frustrating for Italian right-wing politicians for decades.
Italy’s Prime Minister Mario Draghi has expressed satisfaction with France’s agreement to begin judicial proceedings in the “wounded” case, a statement from the Prime Minister’s Office said.
“The memories of those barbaric acts are clear in the Italian conscience,” Draghi said.
By Sylvie Corbet and Frances D’Emilio