Former nurse sentenced to probation for death from patient’s dosing

Nashville, Tennessee (AP) —A former Tennessee nurse was sentenced to three years of probation on Friday after hundreds of healthcare workers gathered outside the court and a patient died from a medication error. ..

After apologizing to the victim’s relative, Charlene Murphy, a state judge ruled Radonda Vot, saying she would be forever annoyed by her mistakes. It was Vaught Convicted in March Manslaughter and gross negligence in an adult with a disability after she accidentally administers the wrong drug.

Judge Jennifer Smith of the Nashville Criminal Court said Vaught would be subject to judicial diversion. This is a way for the first criminal to withdraw the prosecution and erase the record after successfully completing the probation. The prosecutor did not oppose probation, but oppose diversion.

A crowd of nurses outside protesting cheered, cried, and hugged after hearing the ruling. Relief came after the medical staff spent hours in the sun and stuck to all the words of the judge’s explanation of the long decision.

The fact that 38-year-old Vaught faced criminal punishment is a rallying point for many nurses who are already fed up with the poor working conditions exacerbated by the pandemic. Outside crowds listened to the hearing through speakers and cheered when some of the victim’s relatives said they didn’t want prison time for Voat.

“She didn’t want time to be out of jail because she knew my mom, my mom’s way, etc. It was just a mom. Mom was a very tolerant person,” Michael said.・ Murphy told the court. However, Charlene Murphy’s husband wanted her to be sentenced to her imprisonment, her relatives testified.

He apologized to his family in court and said that the words would never fully describe her “regret and sadness.”

“I will be forever plagued by my role in her premature death,” she said. “She didn’t deserve it.”

Smith quoted Vorto’s remorse and her honesty about dosing mistakes when considering whether to allow Vorto’s judicial diversion.

Speaking before she was sentenced, Vaught told Murphey’s family Whole body hospital problems and the risk of making mistakes Diverted attention from the death of their loved one.

“I’m sorry that this flood of public support has made you live this over and over again,” she told them. “No one has forgotten about your loved one. No one has forgotten about Mr. Murphy. We are all terrifying and terrifyingly sorry for what happened.”

After Vaught was convicted in March, healthcare professionals began posting on social media that they would stop bedside nursing for managers or quit their profession altogether. They said the risk of going to jail because of mistakes made nursing intolerable.

On Friday, Vaught’s supporters listened to speeches from other nurses and supporters on a purple T-shirt with the words “#IAmRaDonda” and “In Search of Justice for Nurses and Patients with a Broken System.” I was wearing. I also silently prayed to remember Charlene. Murphy.

Aleece Ellison traveled from Texas to join them. She has been a nurse in the emergency room for 14 years and she said she cried when Vaught was found guilty.

“I’ve never felt so helpless for 14 years,” she said. “This may be me.” She came to Nashville and “informed the world that criminalizing mistakes, honest mistakes was not the direction we wanted to go.”

“I became a nurse practitioner a few years ago because the bedside was becoming dangerous,” said Janny Reed, who came by car from Memphis. … there weren’t enough nurses. “

“I usually don’t do this,” she said of the protest. Nurses will go to jail, and more people will die because they do not report their mistakes. “

Vaught reported the error as soon as he realized he was wrong. On December 26, 2017, the paralyzing drug vecuronium was injected into 75-year-old Charlene Murphey instead of the sedative Versed. However, her lawyer argued that the systemic problems at Vanderbilt University Medical Center were at least partially responsible.

At a hearing on Friday, Michael Murphy talked about the sacrifices his mother’s death had made to his family.

“When all this happened, I was at work, so I couldn’t say goodbye to my mother. I couldn’t hug or kiss her,” he said. “My dad suffers from this every day. He goes to the graveyard once or twice a week. He goes out there and cries. He is 83 years old.”

His wife, Chandra Murphy, also testified Friday about the situation before her mother-in-law died.

“We always got together for a family dinner,” she said. “We did a lot together as a family, and it was just a moment for us. We are still wrapping her Christmas present in the attic.”


Contributors include Nashville Associated Press author Jonathan Mattise.

Posted on