Former Philippine President Estrada on ventilator by COVID-19


Former Philippine President Joseph Ejercito photographed in Manila in 2013.  (Photo: AFP News)

Former Philippine President Joseph Ejercito photographed in Manila in 2013. (Photo: AFP News)

Manila, Philippines (AP) — Former Philippine President Joseph Ejercito was placed on a hospital ventilator to help breathe after being infected with the coronavirus, his son said Tuesday.

Estrada, 83, the most prominent Filipino politician with a positive COVID-19, was hospitalized more than a week ago and was initially recovering well, said his son, former senator Zingoe Strada.

But on Monday, “my father’s condition has receded,” he said in a medical bulletin posted on Facebook, and doctors said, “to improve oxygen supply and prevent his breathing fatigue, the former president I decided to put it on a ventilator, “he added. mechanism. “

“My dad was always a fighter. With the help of your prayers, I hope he wins this battle,” he said.

Another Estrada’s son, former Senator JV Ejercito, also called for prayer in a tweet saying, “COVID is unpredictable.”

Former action film star and longtime politician Estrada defeated the president in 1998, one of the largest margins in Philippine electoral college history. However, after he faced allegations of looting, his six-year term was shortened and he was banished in January 2001 during a major protest. He denied allegations that he had been forged by his enemies.

A special anti-implantation court convicted him of looting in 2007. His successor, Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, pardoned him in a move to restore his civil and political rights and allowed him to run for the second time in 2010, when he failed in the presidential election. He won the election As Mayor of Manila in 2013, he has been out of politics since his term ended in 2019.

Separately, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana, who is leading the effort to deal with the pandemic in the Philippines, said she would be quarantined after a positive coronavirus test on Tuesday. The 72-year-old retired Army General, who said he had no symptoms, is one of several members of President Rodrigo Duterte’s cabinet with the disease. All Lorenzana cabinet colleagues have recovered.

Duterte has returned the metropolis of Manila and four suburban states with a population of more than 25 million to a blockade amid a surprising surge in infection. The Philippines has reported more than 812,000 COVID-19 cases, of which 13,817 have died, the second highest in Southeast Asia after Indonesia.

Posted on