Four Canadians from three unexplained families after the collapse of a Florida condo



At least four Canadians from three different families have not been described after the fatal collapse of a condo building in the Miami area, the federal government said on Sunday that the official death toll in the case rose to nine. Told.

Global Affairs Canada said on Sunday that the four Canadians affected by the tragedy came from a family of two, but revealed the facts later that day. He had previously refused to share the official status of Canadians, but he says he’s still missing about 150 days after the crash of Champlain Towers South in Surfside, Florida three days ago.

Information about the four Canadians came from a “preliminary report,” he said.

“Miami Canadian Consulate officials are in contact with local governments to gather additional information,” wrote Global Affairs spokeswoman Ciara Trudeau in an email. “Canadian Consulate officials are also in contact with affected families.”

Global Affairs Canada did not provide additional details, citing privacy law.

The news came as rescue operations continued on the wreckage of a 12-story tower north of Miami. Authorities and loved ones expressed concern that the increase in deaths after more bodies were found on Sunday could be much higher.

“We were able to recover four bodies in the rubble and human bodies,” Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said in a morning press conference. “As of today, one victim has died in the hospital and eight … victims have been recovered on-site.”

The body was sent to an inspector general, and authorities are collecting DNA samples from the family to assist in identification.

Miami-Dade Fire Chief Alan Kominsky said his department is continuing search and rescue operations and has no plans to give up searching for survivors.

“Hopefully that’s what I’m focusing on,” he said.

Rescue teams are actively searching, according to Kominsky, but the search is still a slow process.

“What we are encountering here is a very extreme and difficult situation. This kind of collapse is difficult,” he said.

A few days after the collapse on Thursday, 156 people remain unexplained.

Dogs, cameras and sonar are being used to search the rubble pile, Kaba said.

She said additional bodies were found when workers dug a large trench in the wreckage. The trench is more than 12 meters deep, 6 meters wide and 38 meters long.

Teams from Mexico and Israel have been brought in to support rescue operations.

Three years ago, an engineering company said that a major repair of a building was needed to repair damaged concrete in columns, beams and walls.

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis said rescue and restoration work was a top priority, followed by helping survivors.

“Then the next important thing is why this happened,” he said on Sunday. “I think it’s important to get a clear explanation.”

Jacob Celebrin

With a file from the Associated Press

Posted on