French Foreign Minister confirms kidnapping of journalists in Mali


French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian confirmed on Sunday that a French journalist who disappeared in Mali last month may have been kidnapped by a Muslim terrorist.

Reporter Olivier Dubois was believed to have been kidnapped after disappearing on April 8.

Reporters Without Borders (RSF) kidnapped Dubois on May 6 after a video was released that was kidnapped by Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin, an al-Qaeda affiliate in Mali. Announced. Ask his family, friends and authorities to work for his release.

However, French officials at the time said they were checking the video and only confirmed that the reporter had disappeared.

“Everything makes us believe he is a hostage of a jihadist group,” Le Drian told RTL Radio on Sunday.

Jean-Yves Le Drian
French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian will speak at a joint press conference with Irish Foreign Minister Simon Coveny on May 20, 2021 at Farmley House and Estate in Dublin.

RSF Secretary-General Christophe Deloire previously said Dubois had reported in Gao, northern Mali, and did not return to the hotel after lunch on April 8.

Arnaud Froger, head of the RSF’s Africa desk, told The Associated Press on May 6: He can be released without further delay. “

Mali has been in turmoil since the 2012 riots overthrew the president by rebels. The resulting vacuum of power eventually led to an Islamic rebellion and a French-led campaign, expelling jihadists from the city that dominated northern Mali in 2013.

However, rebels continue to operate, with al-Qaeda-affiliated terrorist groups and ISIS terrorist groups moving from the dry north to the more populous Central Mali, attacking targets and territory Stirs hostility and violence between ethnic groups.

Reuters and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Posted on