Gadafi’s son can no longer run for president


Benghazi in Libya-Wednesday’s Supreme Elections Agency disqualified his son and former heir, the late Muang Mar Gadafi, from running for president in next month’s elections.

The name of Seif al-Islam Gadhafi appeared in the list of ineligible candidates issued by the National High Election Commission. He can appeal the decision in court within a few days.

Saif al-Islam was sentenced to death by the Tripoli Court in 2015 for using violence against protesters in a rebellion against his father in 2011, which has been questioned by Libyan rival authorities. .. He has also been sought by the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity related to riots.

Libya will host the first round of the presidential election on December 24, after years of UN-led attempts to lead a more democratic future and end the country’s civil war. In addition to concerns over the election, the UN’s Supreme Envoy to Libya submitted his resignation last week, but said he was ready to continue voting as needed on Wednesday.

Following the overthrow and killing of Muang Mar Gadafi in 2011, oil-rich Libya has spent most of the last decade split between the capital Tripoli and its eastern-based rival government. Both sides of the civil war are also supported by mercenaries and foreign troops from Turkey, Russia, Syria and other regional powers.

The son of a former Libyan dictator submitted his candidacy documents in the southern town of Sabah on November 14. It is the first time in a few years that a 49-year-old with a PhD from the London School of Economics has made a public appearance. ..

He was captured by a fighter in the town of Jintan in late 2011 as the uprising ended his father’s rule 40 years later. Seifal-Islam was released in June 2017.

The announcement of his potential candidacy has caused controversy across the divided nations. There, many other prominent candidates have also emerged in the last few weeks. Among them are the powerful military commander Khalifa Hifter and the country’s interim Prime Minister Abdul Hamiddbeiba.

The long-awaited vote still faces challenges, including unresolved issues over the laws governing elections and occasional conflicts between armed groups. Other obstacles include the deep rifts that remain between the east and west of the country and the presence of thousands of foreign fighters and troops.

Meanwhile, UN envoy Jan Kubish submitted his resignation last week, but it wasn’t announced until Tuesday.

Geneva-based diplomats serve as both Libyan envoys and heads of UN political missions. He told the Security Council on Wednesday that he was leaving to promote the changes he considers important: transferring the mission chief’s job to Tripoli to stand on the ground at the moment of high stakes for Libya. ..

This idea split the council during the September discussions. Western countries have accepted it. Russia rejected it.

Mr Kubis said the United Nations had accepted his resignation on the effective date of December 10, but added that he was ready to continue as a special envoy throughout the elections.

When asked about the discrepancy, UN spokesman Farhan Haq said the organization “will continue to work with him while looking for a successor.”

The work was open for almost a year before being met by Kubis, a former Slovak foreign minister in Iraq and Afghanistan and a UN employee.

The Security Council emphasized the importance of Wednesday’s elections, urged a “comprehensive and consultative election process,” warned against violence and disinformation, and called on Libyans to accept voting results. ..

Libya’s ambassador, Tahel El Soni, said his country appreciates “all international initiatives with true intent”, but members of the council “pay attention to us too.” “We need to encourage the Libyans to get out of the crisis.

“You have a moral responsibility for the development of my country over the last decade,” he told the group. “Don’t look down on us.”

Lami Musa

Associated Press

follow

Posted on