Berlin (AP) — German prosecutors said Wednesday that they withdrew their investigation into a 95-year-old former Nazi concentration camp guard after refusing to interrogate after being deported from the United States.
Friedrich Carl Barger arrived in his native Germany in February after being deported by a court in Memphis last year. A prosecutor in a town in northern Celle told German police at the time that he would be willing to interrogate an investigator with a lawyer in principle.
A U.S. immigration judge forced him after discovering that his “ambitious service as an armed guard of prisoners in concentration camps where persecution took place” constitutes support for Nazi-sponsored persecution. Ordered repatriation.
The court found that Berger, who had lived in the United States since 1959, served in a camp in Meppen, Germany, near the Dutch border, a subcamp of the larger Neuengamme camp near Hamburg.
Berger admitted to US investigators that he had served as a security guard at Meppen for several weeks near the end of the war, but said he had not seen any abuse or murder. However, a Memphis court found that Berger took nearly two weeks to help protect the prisoners during the forced evacuation that claimed the lives of 70 people.
Celle’s prosecutor shelved his first investigation in November, saying he could not challenge his explanation. They decided to investigate again after he arrived in Germany, first signaling that he would begin cross-examination, but said on Wednesday that he had completed the investigation on alleged murder accessories again. It was.
After Berger arrived in Germany, he was appointed as a defense lawyer. The prosecutor said in a statement that after the lawyer consulted with Mr Berger, his client could not be cross-examined as a suspect.
“After running out of all the evidence,” they added, “there was no doubt enough to end the investigation again.”