Hong Kong bans transit flights from more than 150 countries


Hong Kong — Hong Kong International Airport has announced that it will ban transit passengers from 150 countries and territories and tighten strict travel regulations from Sunday.

Authorities also said on Friday that social distance restrictions, including a ban on eating after 6 pm, would be extended for another two weeks on Lunar New Year holidays until February 3. Hong Kong will be cancelled.

No-passage and extension of distance rules occur when cities are working on the outbreak of the coronavirus Omicron. Most cases result from two Cathay Pacific crew members who broke quarantine rules and ate at restaurants and bars in the city before testing. positive.

Over the past two weeks, authorities have blocked multiple homes in the city and mass-tested thousands of people in an attempt to eradicate Omicron infection.

“I’m worried that there may be asymptomatic Hong Kong airlines that are still overlooked in the community,” Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam said at a press conference on Friday.

“Therefore, our assessment based on this is that there is still a risk of outbreaks,” she said.

According to the notice posted, airline passengers who have stayed in more than 150 locations considered “high risk” in the last 21 days will be banned from passing in Hong Kong from January 16th to February 15th. .. airport.

Since the end of 2021, more than 50 community outbreaks have been reported in the community. Prior to that, Hong Kong had been negotiating with the mainland for three months without community infection and resumed quarantine-free trips with other parts of China.

Last week, Hong Kong imposed a two-week ban on flights arriving from the United States, Canada, Australia, France, the United Kingdom, India, Pakistan, and the Philippines.

Last week, the city banned food after 6 pm and ordered museums, cinemas, gyms, libraries and other venues to be closed for at least two weeks.

Associated Press

follow