New Delhi — A massive fire broke out in a 19-story residential building on Saturday in Mumbai, India’s financial and entertainment capital, killing at least six people and injuring 15 people, officials said.
According to Mumbai Mayor Kishori Pednekar, the fire was caused by a short-circuited air conditioner in one of the apartments.
According to residents, the fire began on the 15th floor and soon a large pillar of black smoke covered the building. They said that more than 90 people had escaped from the building themselves or were helped by their neighbors.
City government spokesman Ganesh Purnaik said the fire killed six people and injured 15 and was hospitalized.
Four of the injured were in serious condition, police officer Saurabh Tripathi said.
According to media reports, after two hours of effort, about 20 fire trucks extinguished the flames and controlled the smoke. Firefighters rushed the injured to two nearby hospitals.
Pedneker said some of the injured had inhaled smoke and needed oxygen support.
Fires are common in India and building codes and safety standards are often ignored by builders and residents.
In August, eight coronavirus patients died in a fire at a hospital in Ahmedabad, a major city in Gujarat. In December 2018, a late-night fire broke out at a restaurant in Mumbai, killing 15 people.