Hundreds of millions are being spent to recover billions in misgiven pandemic subsidies


Documents show that the federal government has spent hundreds of millions of dollars trying to recoup billions of dollars it gave to ineligible recipients of pandemic subsidies.

According to Blacklock’s Reporter, a ministry inquiry filed by Conservative MP Corey Tochor returned certain figures from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

As of March 31, more than $320 million has been spent on audits, investigations and debt collections.

The survey shows that the CRA has assigned 2,601 full-time employees to the case.

Millions of dollars spent so far are expected to cost nearly $1 billion in recovery efforts.

“Total costs associated with future (2023-2026) relief program integrity activities are estimated at $556,487,045,” the study said, thus total costs of $876,000. over a million dollars.

According to research, projections are based on information available at the time, are subject to change with costs after March 31, 2026, and may be reassessed at a later date.

“How much has the Canada Revenue Agency spent to date and what it expects to spend in the future to recover payments in respect of overpayments and fraudulently obtained payments to the various COVID-19-related financial relief programs implemented by the government. Do you?” MP Tochor wrote in his survey.

The cost of recovering payments erroneously paid for various COVID-19-related federal grants includes $234 million in Canada Response Benefits, $229 million in Emergency Response Benefits, and $229 million in Emergency Wage Subsidies. Includes $184 million in gold.

Gazetteer General Karen Hogan released two reports earlier this week on the Trudeau government’s control over COVID-19 subsidies and vaccine procurement.

She said $4.6 billion in pandemic subsidies had been made available to ineligible recipients and that at least another $27.4 billion in payments would have to be investigated.

Hogans report shows that $6.1 million was paid to incarcerated individuals over the entire benefit period, and $1.2 million was paid to deceased recipients. In addition, he said $3.3 million was sent to recipients who do not reside in Canada.

Hogan said the government had achieved its goal of providing relief money quickly, helping the economy recover, but that the funds were misallocated because there was no confirmation of payment in advance.

The federal minister in charge of the program has defended its track record, saying it is important to help Canadians in times of need.

“We are very proud of the way the government has responded to the economic and public health challenges of the pandemic,” Employment Minister Carla Quartraff said in response to the auditor’s report on Dec. 6. rice field.

Tax Minister Diane Louboutilier said the CRA has been working “rigorously” and has a “good plan” to recover wasted funds.

“During COVID, we were there to help people and really saved lives,” she said.

Qualtrough said it has recovered $1.3 billion to date.

Noe Chartier

follow

Noé Chartier is a reporter for the Epoch Times based in Montreal. Twitter: @NChartierET Gettr: @nchartieret