Hundreds of Strands in Victoria Missing as Floods

[ad_1]

In Victoria, 500 homes are flooded, another 500 are stranded and at least one person is missing.

torrent rain Officials have warned that inundated basins represent weeks of flood risk, but are affecting rural and metropolitan areas alike.

Evacuation orders are in place for the town of Rochester on the Kampaspe River north of Melbourne, the central gold mining town of Carisbrook near Maryborough, Skinners Flat in Wedderburn and Seymour on the Goulburn River.

Powerful, high-velocity water from the meter-deep dam was expected to pass through Wedderburn via the Calder Highway, officials said.

About 70 residents have been evicted from Maliveenon in Melbourne.

State Emergency Services responded to more than 2,600 calls for help in 24 hours and rescued at least 200 people in two days.

At least one person is missing in central Victoria, according to SES Chief Operations Officer Tim Wiebush.

“Just prior to attending this press conference, there was a report of a missing person in Newbridge and a search and rescue is currently underway,” he told reporters on Friday.

Commander Josh Gamble said complacency is the main reason people get in trouble.

“Many of these people are risking their own lives, and in some circumstances their children, but more importantly other community members and responders who are It’s in every part of the state, not just in metropolitan areas,” he told ABC.

Prime Minister Daniel Andrews has announced a one-time payment of $560 per adult and $280 per child for those displaced by the floods.

By Friday afternoon, about 1500 applications had been received.

He urged Victorians to heed the warning.

Prime Minister Andrews told reporters on Friday: “Don’t drive into flood waters.

“There have been over 200 rescues so far, many of which could have been prevented. That’s it.

Anglers Tavern on the banks of Melbourne’s Mulliveenon River partially submerged after unprecedented overnight impacts rain.

“At this stage, access is not possible,” the spokesperson said.

“Obviously there was flood damage to the venue. We will evaluate it tomorrow, hopefully weather dependent, once we have access.”

Bill Shorten, MP for the Melbourne seat in Maribyrnong, said the situation was devastating.

“It’s really upsetting for people in my local community,” Shorten told reporters in Melbourne.

“These are areas I have lived in for the last 30 years. The last great flood was in 1974, so for many this will be a new devastating experience.”

A Victoria SES spokesperson said more than 50 sandbag collection points have been set up and made available statewide.

Multiple emergency relief centers have been established, including Bendigo, Seymour, Echuca, Wedderburn and Maryborough.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has spoken to the prime minister about using the $580 million (US$366 million) Mickleham quarantine facility as emergency accommodation a week after it officially closed.

Opposition leader Matthew Guy called on the government to declare a state of emergency.

With traffic disrupted across the state, regional V/Line trains and alternate buses on the Shepperton, Seymour, Albury, Echuca and Swanhill lines have been cancelled.

The historic town of Seymour, 100km north of Melbourne, is facing its highest level of flooding since 1974.

Officials also expect Shepperton in the Goulburn Valley to experience its worst flooding in almost 30 years on Saturday.

AAP

follow

Australian Associated Press is an Australian news agency.

[ad_2]