Drivers wishing to negotiate speeding or other traffic violations in Mecklenburg County can negotiate directly again without waiting for the court date.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg District Attorney Spencer Meriwether’s on-duty desk with a prosecutor Announced resumption On Thursday, drivers can reduce or reduce the fees for many speed violations and violations. The work desk is located on the second floor of the Mecklenburg County Courthouse.
Here’s what you need to know before you go to your desk.
I got a speeding ticket in North Carolina. So what?
What kind of cases does the desk handle?
by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Law Office, The cases handled by the duty desk are as follows.
▪ ▪ Speed violation ticket
▪ ▪ Drive with expired vehicle registration
▪ ▪ Drive with expired insurance
▪ ▪ Drive with an expired driver’s license
Desks can reduce speed violations to lower rates, said Sina Gatehouse, assistant district attorney. Also, in compliance cases, when driving with incomplete or expired documentation, it is often rejected if the driver provides evidence that he has obtained the required documentation.
According to Gatehouse, the shift desk does not handle other, more serious transportation charges. These include:
▪ ▪ For drunk driving (DWI)
▪ ▪ Hit and run
▪ ▪ Drive at speeds of over 100 mph
If the defendant hires a lawyer to file a proceeding, Gatehouse said the duty desk will not be able to handle the proceeding.
Do I have to go directly?
No.Drivers can also challenge state traffic violations Electronic compliance and dismissal Portal (ECAD). According to Gatehouse, the portal is only available to residents of North Carolina.
ECAD There are also the following restrictions previously reported by observers:
▪ ▪ Request must be submitted at least 7 business days before the due date of the court
▪ ▪ Ticket billing speed must exceed the posted limit by 10-19 mph and less than 80 mph
▪ ▪ If the district attorney agrees to reduce the number of tickets, slow down beyond the speed limit by 9 mph or exchange the speeding ticket for a ticket for the wrong equipment. Other reductions require a court appearance.You will receive an email with discounted rates and related costs
What time is the desk open?
Merriweather has announced that the duty desk is open five days a week, Monday to Thursday from 9 am to 12 pm and 2 pm to 4 pm, and Friday from 9 am to 12 pm.
According to Gatehouse, these are longer times than previously offered desks. Before the pandemic, the desk was open only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.
When can I challenge my proceedings in court?
It is unclear when a driver can challenge a traffic violation in court if he does not use ECAD or does not go to his work desk.
Many of the Mecklenburg Courthouses remain closed due to concerns about COVID-19. One court has begun processing Drunk driving The (DWI) case occurred in early June, but no other traffic cases have been seen in court since last spring, observers previously reported. In fact, the only minor offenses currently being dealt with are drunk driving and domestic violence.
The county has not announced a timeline for the next steps of the courthouse in reopening.