I knew about a monk who molested 23 boys


Sven Hoppe / Vatican Pool via Reuters

Sven Hoppe / Vatican Pool via Reuters

Retired Pope Benedict XVI made an unusual confession.Instead of sticking Very contested denial He I didn’t know anything about the predatory priest’s score He moved around the German parish when he was in charge of the Parish of Munich, and says he now knew at least one of them.

First on the weekend in the German media, then Catholic news agencyGeorg Genswain, Benedict’s personal assistant, sought to revise the record of a sick former deity officer.

Genswayne attended a hearing about Father Peter Hullahman, a priest who was accused of abusing at least 23 boys aged 8 to 16 by an independent investigator hired by the German Catholic Church. I admitted that I didn’t remember that. Now, contrary to what was stated in the hearing, I would like to make it clear that he attended the regular meeting on January 15, 1980. Hullermann allegedly abused his children until he was finally separated from the active priesthood in 2010.

Pope Benedict XVI deliberately raped a child: lawyer

“Therefore, the opposition statement was objectively wrong,” Genswayne said in a statement about what the former Pope had told investigators. “He wants to emphasize that this was not done maliciously, but was the result of an error in the editing of his statement. He explained how this happened in the pending statement. I’ll explain. He’s very sorry for this mistake and asks him to forgive it. “

Last week, a German law firm commissioned to investigate a German church said that Joseph Ratzinger would be fully aware of and relocating multiple allegations of abuse against them before he was elected Pope. He discovered that he was directly involved in at least four cases of approved predatory priests. From 1977 to 1982, Benedict led the Parish of Munich and was promoted to the Holy See by his predecessor, Pope John Paul II, to lead the congregation for the doctrine of faith.

However, at the meeting in question, attendees who cooperated with the law firm’s investigation were under Ratzinger’s responsibility as Hallerman’s troublesome situation was actually discussed and he admitted that he had sexually abused his child. Said it was decided to provide accommodation in Munich — while he was being treated. He was not removed from the duty of an active parish at that time or kept away from the children. It will happen later — when he was transferred to the tourist parish in 2008, he was described as “extroverted and friendly, especially with young people.”

Genswayne sought to clarify Benedict’s position as an “editing mistake” that referred to the agenda of the meeting, rather than whether Benedict was present. “But objectively correct, but documented by the file is a statement that no decision was made at this meeting on the idyllic mission of the priest in question,” he said. “Rather, only the request to provide accommodation to him during his treatment in Munich was granted.”

It happened that Monsignor Gerhard Gruber, a subordinate of the Parish of Munich, took on all responsibility for the transfer of Hallermann. According to Genswayne, Benedict is expected to be further clarified after a thorough review of the 1,900-page report by German researchers.

Benedict, now 94, was the first Pope to retire in 2013 for over 400 years. His successor, Pope Francis, has not publicly commented on the German church scandal. The Vatican press referred all questions to Gänswein.

For more information, see The Daily Beast.

Deliver the Daily Beast’s largest scoops and scandals directly to your inbox. Sign up now.

Stay informed and have unlimited access to The Daily Beast’s unmatched reports. Subscribe now.