Identified sailor who committed suicide at a Hawaii resort

Honolulu (AP) — Monday’s Honolulu Medical Inspector’s Office identified a U.S. Navy sailor who committed suicide at a luxury resort after a stand-off with police over the weekend.

Russell Cruz, 40, from Kailua, Hawaii, died of a gunshot wound in his head, the prosecutor’s office said. The Navy had not yet notified relatives on Monday and had not revealed his identity, Cmdr said. Cindy Fields, spokesman for the US Pacific Fleet Submarine Unit.

She said in a statement on Sunday: “We can see that the sailors assigned to the Pacific Submarine Force have died. We are deeply saddened by the loss of the sailors. Our thoughts and condolences are directed to Sailor’s family and friends. “

Former federal law enforcement officer Tommy Aiu booked a seafood buffet at The Kahala Hotel & Resort on Saturday at 5:45 pm. At this time, police on the beach side of the hotel began cleaning up people from the pool and other areas.

Police guided people to the ballroom, and resort workers provided blankets and food, such as prime rib and sashimi, to about 100 people, Aiu said. “They met a five-star rating,” he said. “They took good care of us.”

Police said there was a potential suicide person in the room on the fourth floor who brought the negotiator. Aiu said he tried to help his family as well.

Honolulu Police spokeswoman Sarah Yolo did not release additional details on Monday, only stating that police had made the first statement on the scene.

The SWAT team entered a room on the fourth floor at 3:30 am on Sunday, found a man dead, and local television stations and newspapers quoted an unknown police officer.

According to police, the bullet was fired around 6 pm on Saturday. A hotel guard went up to the man’s room and knocked on the door. After that, police said he fired many times through the door.

Honolulu Police Captain Brian Lynch told the press.

Corey Funai had just parked at the hotel to meet a friend when police officers began screaming from the balcony on Saturday. Funai was afraid of shootings. “In all of the mainland news, I thought it might be like that,” he said. “But that doesn’t happen very often in Hawaii.”

According to Funai, people were mostly calm and enjoying the food offered by the hotel when they saw the SWAT team.

He fell asleep on the sofa until a hotel worker allowed people to leave 10 at a time in the middle of the night.

“It was a lot of fun. I almost forgot that someone had trauma,” Funai said. “It was very heavy to know that the man committed suicide the next morning.”


This version modifies the Fields title and adds her rank.