Officials say the Indonesian Navy’s submarine, which sank off the coast of Bali on Wednesday, was found divided into three parts on the seabed.
It was confirmed that all 53 crew members of the ship were dead.
Navy officials said they received the signal early Sunday from a depth of more than 800 meters (2,600 feet) from the location of the submarine.
An underwater rescue vehicle rented from Singapore was sent to visually identify the wreckage.
KRI Nangara disappeared after asking for a dive permit during torpedo training. The reason for the subsidence is not yet clear.
A statement on Sunday was issued the day after Indonesian troops confirmed that debris from submarines, including worship mats, had been found in the missing area.
Naval Commander Yud Margono said more items had been recovered from the submarine, including anchors and crew safety clothing.
“KRI Nanggala was divided into three parts, the hull, stern and main parts were all separated, and the main parts were found to be cracked,” he told reporters on Sunday.
Hadi Tjahjan, the head of the Indonesian army, confirmed that he had no chance to find a living crew member.
“It can be said that all 53 people on board were killed in deep sorrow,” he told reporters.
Experts have previously said that the depth at which the submarine was discovered far exceeded its viable limit and carried sufficient oxygen for only three days.
President Joko Widodo described the crew as Indonesia’s “best patriots,” adding that “all Indonesians convey deep sorrow to the incident, especially to the families of the submarine crew.” It was.
The disappearance of KRI Nanggala has led to international search activities supported by the United States, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia and India.
The German ship, which was more than 40 years old, was repaired in 2012.