Iran reports electrical accident at Natanz nuclear power plant, no casualties



The day after Dubai-Tehran launched a new advanced uranium enrichment centrifuge on the site, power problems caused an incident at Iran’s Natanz underground nuclear facility on Sunday, Iranless TV reported.

“The incident did not cause casualties or pollution,” said Belouse Kamalbandi, a spokesman for Iran’s Atomic Energy Agency. “Electricity was affected at the Natanz facility in the desert of Central Province, Isfahan. I added.

The underground Natanz site is the centerpiece of the Iranian administration’s uranium enrichment program and is monitored by inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency, the United Nations nuclear monitoring agency.

“We are investigating the cause of this incident,” Kamalbandy told Iran’s semi-official Fars news agency.

A fire broke out at a facility in Natanz last July. The administration says this is an attempt to thwart Iran’s nuclear program. In 2010, the Stuxnet computer virus, widely believed to have been developed by the United States and Israel, was discovered after it was used to attack Natanz.

Tehran and Washington are trying to revive Iran’s 2015 nuclear deal with the great powers after former US President Donald Trump abandoned it three years ago. Trump has re-imposed sanctions lifted by the Islamic republic, bringing more.

In response to US sanctions, Iran has revealed that it has violated many restrictions imposed by the agreement. At an indirect meeting in Vienna last week, the two countries took a strict stance on how to make them fully compliant with the agreement.

By Parisa Hafezi

Posted on