A Roman-Italian security judge issued an international arrest warrant for the kidnapping of the grandfather of an Israeli boy who was the only survivor of the May cable car disaster, prosecutors said in a statement Wednesday.
During his visit to Italy’s 6-year-old Eitambilan in September, his maternal grandfather, Shmuel Pereg, picked him up and brought him back to Israel without the consent of his paternal aunt, two. Caused a custody dispute between families.
A cable car accident in northern Italy in May killed the boy’s parents, younger brother and 11 others.
According to the statement, the arrest warrant targets Peleg and Gabriel Abatbull Aaron, who allegedly helped with the plan.
According to a statement, a security judge in the northern city of Pavia requested that the two arrested men be handed over to Italy.
A lawyer in Peleg, Italy, told Reuters that he had already appealed the warrant.
The Italian Ministry of Justice said it is unlikely that Israel would send the suspect to Italy, as it reserved the 1957 European Convention on Extradition of Criminals in Paris that Israel would not hand over its citizens.
Peleg and Aaron allegedly took the boy to Switzerland, then flew him to Tel Aviv and paid $ 48,568 for a private plane. Peleg’s ex-wife, Esther Athens Cohen, is also under investigation.
Justice of the peace said that the maternal family’s determination to bring the boy back to Israel so that the child could live with them is “the origin of the criminal plan carried out by the suspect’s clear prior meditation and meticulous organization.” Said.
Last month, an Israeli court ruled that the boy had to be returned to an Italian relative. There, his aunt Aya Bilan was given the rights of a guardian. He is still in Israel.
My aunt’s lawyer declined to comment. I couldn’t immediately ask Aaron’s lawyer for comment.
Emilio Parody and Angelo Amante