Japan and the United States conduct the first anti-submarine warfare exercise in the South China Sea


The Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) and the US Navy conducted the first joint anti-submarine warfare exercise in the South China Sea, strengthening its capabilities in conflict seas, where China claims sovereignty in almost every region. that.

The Maritime Self-Defense Force destroyers JS Kaga and Murasame, a P-1 maritime patrol aircraft and an unnamed submarine, participated in joint training with the US Navy’s USS Milias and P-8A maritime patrol aircraft. Presentation November 16th.

This is the first time that a JSMDF submarine has conducted anti-submarine warfare training with the U.S. Navy in the South China Sea, demonstrating “high interoperability between Japan and the United States,” said MSDF Chief of Staff Hiroshi Yamamura. Stated. Press conference on the same day. (Asahi)

“It also represents the deterrence and responsiveness of the MSDF and the US Navy,” he said.

The three destroyers also participated in another training in the South China Sea last week.

JSMDF destroyers Kaga and Murasame also called at Subic in the Philippines over the weekend and then participated in joint training with the Philippine Navy’s frigate BRP Jose Rizal in the disputed sea.

The training was conducted as China increased pressure on Beijing over its claims on the vast waters of the South China Sea.

“China has no problem developing the normal bilateral relations between the United States and Japan, but this relation helps to enhance mutual understanding and trust between regional countries, and peace and stability in the Asia-Pacific region. It should be and should not be targeted by any third party. China’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Tateken said in a daily news briefing on April 16.

China is increasing its presence in the South China Sea, turning the islands into military bases and forcing other countries such as Japan, the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada and France to deploy vessels to monitor Beijing. (Asia Times)

The Hague’s Permanent Court of Arbitration dismissed Beijing’s allegations against most of the South China Sea in 2016, supporting the Philippines and other countries in the region. It was ruled that China’s allegations had no legal basis. (The Epoch Times)

However, the ruling has had little impact on China’s actions, and Beijing refuses to follow it. The resulting territorial disputes are ongoing, and Beijing continues to pursue claims for vast waters based on the so-called “nine-dash line,” which includes coral reefs.

Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam all claim to compete with China.

Aldograph Redley

follow

Posted on