Judge rejects Justice Department plea to disparage Trump over records


<span>Photo: Andrew Harnik/AP</span>” src=”https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/PJUq5GdMWH8qnYiSxbvoYg–/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTcwNTtoPTQyMw–/https://media.zenfs.com/en/the_guardian_765/17052ce9b8de5a755eba321a28f02= data-sarc32″ “https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/PJUq5GdMWH8qnYiSxbvoYg–/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTcwNTtoPTQyMw–/https://media.zenfs.com/en/the_guardian_765/17052ce9b8de5a755eba321a28f02a32″/></div>
</div>
</div>
<p><figcaption class=Photo: Andrew Harnick/AP

Supreme Court Judge Rejects Request for Retention from Justice Department donald trump’s A source familiar with the proceedings said the firm was brought down in contempt of court for failing to fully comply with a subpoena demanding the return of all documents containing classified markings.

Related: White House says cinema defection ‘will not change control of Democratic Senate’ – Live

District of Columbia Chief Justice Beryl Howell told the Justice Department during a closed-door hearing on Friday that a contempt judgment will not stand and that Trump’s legal team should take matters into its own hands, sources said. Stated.

The exact details of the hearing were unclear in the sealed case. But the judge’s move is a win for Trump as he tackles the criminal investigation. Unauthorized Retention of National Security Information At his Mar-a-Lago resort and obstruction of justice.

Federal prosecutors named Trump a custodian of the records, as required in a grand jury subpoena issued in May, and confirmed that all documents containing classified markings were returned to the government. to certify under oath.

The insult lawsuit focused on Trump’s political office, as the subpoena sought the return of all documents and documents “in the custody of Donald J. Trump and/or the office of Donald J. Trump.” It is understood that there are

In response to the subpoena, Trump attorney Evan Corcoran turned over a folder of documents to the Justice Department and asked another Trump attorney, Christina Bob, to sign a certificate she strongly cautioned against. she wasn’t searchingThe Guardian previously reported.

The letter ultimately stated that Bob was giving testimony “based on the information provided to me” “to the best of my knowledge” and that she was in the department by the time the prosecutor collected the folders and certificates. A person familiar with the matter said.

But when the FBI raided Mar-a-Lago on August 8, it found 103 classified documents, leading prosecutors to believe the subpoena had not been complied with. I was. The FBI has asked Trump’s attorneys to certify again that no further documents remain.

Trump’s legal team has resisted designating a record keeper and filing affidavits despite repeated requests. Prosecutors were very frustrated when they told the legal team that they would seek enforcement action if they did not submit a second testimony.

In a statement, a Trump spokesman said the former president and his lawyers “will continue to maintain transparency and cooperation in the face of a highly weaponized and corrupt witch hunt from the Department of Justice.” would,’ he said.

A closed-door legal battle between the Justice Department and Trump’s lawyers led to a search of a Florida warehouse that held boxes of Trump materials, in addition to 103 items found in March. It began after it emerged that two more classified documents had been found. a-Lago by the FBI.

It is understood that President Trump’s legal team filed the two new documents as soon as they were discovered, but it is unclear whether the department initiated the contempt lawsuit before or after the two additional documents were discovered. No, the source said.