Kenyan police arrest dead Tirop’s husband

Police in Nairobi-Kenya said Thursday that they had arrested the husband of two-time World Championship bronze medalist Agnes Jebeto, a long-distance runner who was found dead at home.

Police said Wednesday that Tyrup appeared to have been stabbed in the neck with a knife.

The 25-year-old boy represented Kenya at a distance of 5,000 meters at this year’s Tokyo Olympics and finished fourth in the final.

Police said they had been arrested hours after appealing to Ibrahim Rotich for surrender in the coastal city of Mombasa.

“The suspect was arrested tonight and detained at the Changhamwe police station in the coastal area,” Cayo North’s sub-county police commander Tom Makori told Reuters by phone.

“We can now confirm that there are major suspects in our detention.”

The Criminal Investigation Bureau said on Twitter that Rotitch was arrested after plunging his car into a heavy truck, saying he was trying to flee the country.

“The suspect is currently being burned by a detective at the Changhamwe police station on the details of the murder before being charged to respond to the alleged murder,” the agency said.

Last month, Tyrop broke the women-only 10km world record in Germany, crossing the line at 30:01, a 28-second reduction from the previous record set by Asma Elegzaui in Morocco in 2002.

In early October, Tyrop finished second in the Giants Geneva 10K race.

She won the bronze medal in the 2017 and 2019 World Championships at 10,000m and won the 2015 World Cross Country Championships.

“Athletics has lost one of the brightest young stars in the most tragic situation,” World Athletics President Sebastian Coe said in a statement late Wednesday.

Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta called for a swift investigation into Tirop’s death.

“I was deeply shocked by the tragic death of the young and bright talent Agnes Jebeto. Her performance at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics inspired many people,” he said. Thomas Bach, chairman of the International Olympic Committee, said in a comment posted on the Olympic Twitter account.

Television footage obtained by Reuters shows Tyrop’s distraught friends and relatives leaving her home, and police officers take a cordon to keep others away asking what happened. I used it.

“The girl was very cheerful. In fact, we traveled with her to Nairobi on the day we returned from Tokyo,” said Mirka Chemwos, head of athletics Kenya.

“Even at 4 pm on Monday, I talked to her on the phone and met in town. That’s right. [Tirop’s death] It happened, it’s a shame. “

Humphrey Mararo