Man arrested after approaching Queen Elizabeth II’s coffin


A man was arrested Friday night after disturbing mourners by approaching Queen Elizabeth II’s coffin at Westminster Hall.

Witnesses and video footage said an unidentified man who had been queuing in front of the coffin rushed to Catafalk and pushed a seven-year-old girl away on the way. He touched the coffin and apparently lifted his royal standard and was knocked to the ground by police officers.

The Metropolitan Police (Met) said the man was detained by the military’s parliament and diplomatic protection command “for a violation of the Public Order and Morality Act” after a disturbance around 10 p.m. Friday night.

London Metropolitan Police confirmed at around 1pm on Saturday that the man remained in custody.

Tracy Holland told Sky News that as her 7-year-old niece Darcy was about to see the crown, “Somebody pushed her away, ran to the coffin, lifted the standards and I don’t know what.

“Darcy was grabbed on the way, and the police caught him within two seconds,” she said.

An eyewitness, John Williams, said: mail online The man stood in line for 14 hours, but unlike the others in line who spoke to each other, he kept to himself.

It is said that a 19-year-old man exposed himself and pushed a mourner from behind while waiting in line at Victoria Tower Gardens on Wednesday.

The man, later identified as Adio Adesin by the Metropolitan Police, was charged on Friday with two counts of sexual assault and two counts of violating a sexual harm prevention order.

He has been remanded into custody and is scheduled to appear in Southwark Crown Court on October 14.

By Friday, 34 arrests had been made in connection with the Queen’s lying state, and none of the anti-monarchist protesters had been implicated, according to Deputy Commissioner Stuart Cundy.Need to intervene. had.

Epoch Times photo
King Charles III meets members of the public waiting to see Queen Elizabeth II lying before her funeral in a procession along the South Bank near Lambeth Bridge in London on September 17, 2022 . (Aaron Chung/PA Media)

Since Wednesday night, hundreds of thousands of mourners have joined the five-mile-long procession to pay their respects to the Queen.

The estimated wait Saturday morning was at least 24 hours, according to government live trackers. Around 2pm, the estimated wait time was up to 16.5 hours.

Some mourners were pleasantly surprised when King Charles III and Prince William visited the procession on Saturday.

On Friday night, the King and his brothers stayed up by the Queen’s coffin.

During the Prince’s Vigil, Prince Andrew was allowed to wear military uniform for the first time after being stripped of his military titles after a lawsuit in the United States was settled.

On Saturday, Prince Harry, who is no longer a living member of the royal family, will also be allowed to wear military uniform at another royal vigil held by the Queen’s grandchildren for the first time since 2020.

Heads of state and dignitaries from around the world also began arriving Saturday, ahead of Monday’s state funeral, which is expected to be attended by about 500 dignitaries.

Lily Zhou

follow

Lily Zhou is an Ireland-based reporter focusing on UK news. Lily said she attended the Chinese edition of The Epoch Times for the first time before she focused on the UK in 2020.