Man dies after police force 300 squats for breaking COVID’s curfew

Philippines covid
  • The man died after being forced into 300 squat exercises as a punishment for breaking the COVID curfew.

  • A 28-year-old Filipino man was stopped by a police officer while he was out shopping for water.

  • This is the latest reported human rights violation of COVID rule violators in the country.

  • For more articles, please visit the Insider homepage..

A Filipino man died after being forced into a 300 squat-like exercise by police as a punishment for violating the country’s strict COVID curfew.

Darren Manaog Penaledondo, 28, went out to buy water at a local store in Cavite after being stopped by police for violating a curfew last Thursday.

Adrian Lucena, a relative of Penaledondo, Facebook What caught him and others breaking the curfew was that he was forced to do 100 squat-like exercises as a punishment.

According to Lucena, the group was told to sync the squats, but if one of them is out of sync, the group will have to repeat the entire set. Penaledondo and others will make a total of 300 iterations.

Male cohabiting girlfriend Reishlin Barth told local media Wrapper When Penale Dondo returned on Friday morning, he was in terrible pain.

“When he came back around 8am, he was being helped by another curfew violator. I asked if he was beaten, but he just smiled. He was terrible. It was clear that she was in pain, “she said.

Barth added that Penaledondo had a hard time walking and began to crawl on the floor when his knees and thighs hurt. Later that day he had convulsions and began to have seizures.

“His face turned purple and his heart stopped beating,” Barth told the outlet.

Village guard Rodolfo Cruz Jr. confirmed in a telephone interview with Lapler that Penaledondo was arrested and treated by police last Thursday. However, police chief Marlo Nillo Solero denied the allegations made by Penaledondo’s family and said “there was no such punishment.”

“Instead, we give a lecture,” Solero told Lapler.

Mayor Antonio Ferrer yesterday Facebook post The case was under investigation, and he had contacted his sad family, expressed his condolences, and provided assistance.

“We immediately ordered the police chief to conduct a fair investigation into the alleged torture,” Feller said. “I hope we can clarify the event immediately and give peace of mind to our families.”

This is the latest version of several human rights abuses reported in the Philippines regarding COVID rule violators.

Report from Human Rights Watch Cited case Police imprisoned people in dog cages and allowed other COVID curfew violators to sit in the scorching sun at noon for hours. In some cases Manila man He was killed after trying to evade the COVID checkpoint.

During ~ Address televised Last Thursday, Filipino President Rodrigo Duterte warned citizens not to violate the blockade rules.

“I don’t hesitate. My order is to shoot the police, the military, and village officials if there is something wrong or if there is violence and your life is at stake. “He said.

Read the original article insider

Posted on