Colonial Pipeline may face more penalties after new data reveals that more petrol may have spilled near Huntersville than the company’s latest quote State officials said.
The company’s previous 1.2 million gallon estimate ranked the spill as one of the worst in North Carolina’s history.
Colonial told the State Department of Environmental Quality on Thursday that the estimate was no longer accurate, according to a DEQ news release.
“It is unacceptable that the colonial pipeline was unable to reliably provide the amount of gasoline released to the community for eight months,” said Dionne Deli Gatti, secretary of the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality, in a statement. Stated.
“We will take all necessary steps and exercise all the powers available to hold the colonial pipeline responsible for becoming one of the largest petrol outflows in the country,” Deli- Gatti said.
The spill occurred on August 14, when the pipeline crossed 142 acres in Mecklenburg County. Olah Nature Reserve According to the county, 14511 Huntersville-Concord Road, east of Huntersville.
Two ATV teenagers who happened to find the spill were recently praised for reporting their findings from the town of Huntersville.
Colonial said in January that it would introduce techniques similar to X-rays or MRI to further determine the full extent of the spill, some using UV light to detect petroleum hydrocarbons in soil.
Colonial officials received the results of the analysis last week, but said they did not have a final estimate of the additional amount of gasoline that may have spilled beyond the previous 1.2 million gallon estimate.
That number is Almost 18 times The Charlotte Observer reported in January that the company had leaked the amount of gasoline it originally thought.
“Estimates for each volume provided by Colonial since the release was discovered are: Best data available “At that time,” the company said in an update to its website on Friday.
“However, as a result of this new data, the estimated release volume may be revised, but we will continue to follow science and pass on what we find to the general public and regulators,” the company said. According to the latest information on.
A colonial pipeline official said the company “is fully accountable for the restoration of this site and continues to work on deploying the resources needed to protect human health and the environment. We are here as long as necessary for a safe repair. “
By April 26, the colonial Notification of ongoing violations Published by the state in February.
According to a DEQ announcement on Friday, the notice identified 22 flaws and ordered the company to extend the sampling radius of privately owned wells for residential use by another 500 feet.
As of April 12, Colonial said it had recovered about 85% of the previously estimated 1.2 million gallons.
“Continuous volume recovery shows that most of the products have been recovered and the environmental plan is working as designed,” colonial officials said in an online update Thursday.