Mexico City’s bullfighting ban has been extended indefinitely


Mexico City (AP) — Judges have extended the bullfighting ban in Mexico City indefinitely, increasing the likelihood that the season will be canceled where it claims to be the largest remaining venue in the world.

La Plaza Mexico, as the stadium knows, issued a statement on Friday calling on fans to protest the ruling. The stadium urged bullfighting supporters to post a picture of themselves with the word “freedom” in their hands.

The company said it would appeal the ruling.

“The company will postpone the planned bullfighting and Novilada and continue to defend Mexican customs and traditions as long as the law allows,” Plaza Mexico said in a statement.

However, the High Court has already dismissed one appeal against the decision. Further hearing is needed on whether to support the ban or make it permanent.

The judge initially proclaimed a temporary ban in May based on complaints that bullfighting violated the resident’s right to a violent and healthy environment.

Earlier announcements were scheduled for a bull fight in the city’s major professional rings in July and September.

This decision threatens to mark the end of nearly 500 years of bullfighting in Mexico.

According to historians, the Spanish conqueror Hernán Cortés saw some of the first bullfights in the city in the 1520s, shortly after conquering the Aztec capital in 1521.

Since 2013, four Mexican states have already banned bull fighting, and polls show substantial support for the ban. The ban in Mexico City, currently the largest venue for the event, will be an international retreat for bullfighting.

Last year, the Animal Welfare Commission of the Mexico City Parliament pre-approved a law banning public events that “animals are exposed to abuse and atrocities and die.” But the bill never reached a vote before the full parliament.

Posted on